Chef Kelly Yambor
Elizabeth on 37th opened in May of 1981 in Savannah, Georgia, as the creation of Chef Elizabeth Terry and her husband Michael. The simple elegance of their turn-of-the century Southern mansion sets the perfect tone for her subtle and stunning regional cooking based on wonderful old Southern recipes.
Elizabeth extensively researched Savannah cooking of the 18th and 19th centuries. She comments that Southern cooking is both country, "back of the stove" cooking, and her favorite elegant entertaining "front of the stove" cooking. She believes that Southern cooking should be contemporary but must maintain recognizable old-fashioned flavors. Her goal continues today as her protégé Kelly Yambor works with the wonderful bounty of our region - fresh, local seafood and produce, our own herbs, and Georgia Dairy products to create our wonderful Southern Coastal menu.
Elizabeth Terry's reputation as an innovator and leader in the cuisine of the "New South" is well established. Some of her many accomplishments include:
- Food Arts - 1999 Silver Spoon Award
- James Beard - 1995 Perrier Jouet Best American Chef: Southeast
- 2000 Nominee Outstanding Service Award
- Mobil Travel Guide - 1997 - 2003 Four-Star Award
- Cervena Venison Front of House Service Award - 1997 and 1998
- Restaurants & Institutions - 1995 Ivy Award
- DiRoNa Award for Excellence - 1993 - 2005
- Wine Spectator Award for Excellence - 1992 - 2005
- Food and Wine Magazine - 1992 - 1993 "Top 25 Restaurants in America"
- Nations Restaurant News - 1993 Fine Dining Hall of Fame
The South is known for its hospitality, and award-winning chef Elizabeth Terry is known for her ability to create magic in the kitchen. With her cookbook Savannah Seasons: Food and Stories from Elizabeth on 37th, chef Terry, working with her daughter Alexis, brings all the warmth of the South and her culinary expertise in the kitchens of home cooks everywhere.
In 1998, brothers Greg and Gary Butch, longtime employees at Elizabeth on 37th, joined the Terry's as partners. This dynamic combination has assured the continuance of Elizabeth's high standards of great cuisine and service in lovely, comfortable surroundings.