Culinary Schools in Clearwater
Clearwater is a hotbed of culinary delights, home to numerous organic farms, community supported agriculture (also known as CSAs), and an impressive list of restaurants. This city located right on the Gulf Coast is of course going to feature a great deal of seafood, especially the Grouper Sandwich, which has become a local favorite. It also has a serious claim to fame among fans of traditional hot wings.
Graduates of Clearwater culinary schools will find great work opportunities in the Sunshine State and beyond. Between 2015 and 2025, hiring in Florida's restaurant industry is expected to grow by a whopping 22.4 percent, and restaurant employment growth in nearby Georgia will also be strong at 21.1%, according to the National Restaurant Association. In fact, Florida's impressive employment growth rate is one of the highest in the nation, second only to Arizona. Those planning to attend Clearwater cooking schools have definitely come to the right state to hone their skills.
Famous restaurants in Clearwater
Clearwater, Florida is serious about their food. That's why there are festivals to enjoy and promote it. Expect to indulge in the Stone Crab Festival in the fall, the Taste of Clearwater each September, and the annual Restaurant Week, where locals and tourists alike dig into great food from area restaurants. Those restaurants just might include these gems:
- Frenchy's: This unique restaurant offers the best in waterfront dining, a Grouper sandwich that will make your taste buds sing, and the approval of Food Network guru Alton Brown, who loves the garlic crab fries. There is more than one Frenchy's in Clearwater -- might as well try them all!
- Villa Bellini: This breathtaking restaurant offers a taste of Italy, accompanied by an impressive array of fine wines. Newly renovated and listed as one of the best places in Clearwater by Trip Advisor reviews, this handsome place is great for a very special evening.
Though these excellent restaurants could offer fantastic opportunities for employment in Clearwater, the culinary delights don't stop there. Clearwater is also home to chain restaurants, catering companies, bakeries, cafeterias, food processing companies and much more, all looking for those with culinary expertise. Students at Clearwater culinary schools can enhance their employment prospects by thinking outside the kitchen, turning to management, business, accounting and hospitality courses that can enhance their practical cooking skills. These additional courses can open up more job opportunities in the Florida restaurant business.
Culinary salary and career outlook in Clearwater
When graduates emerge from Clearwater cooking schools, they might be surprised at the vast array of options to choose from in their state. In 2015, the National Restaurant Association reported 39,325 eating and drinking establishments in Florida, with 1,742 of those in the Clearwater area. Those Clearwater restaurants employed 31,204 people, while the greater state of Florida employed over 943,600. With the expected increase in employment from 2015 to 2025, students can expect a variety of restaurant opportunities to choose from in the state.
As with any profession, some careers show more promise than others. The same is true for the culinary industry, where some jobs in Florida offer higher pay and better opportunities for career growth. The following jobs show impressive growth in the state of Florida from 2012 to 2022, according to Projections Central:
- Bartenders: 22%
- Chefs and head cooks: 14.4%
- Restaurant cooks: 19.6%
- Waiters or waitresses: 19%
- First-line supervisors: 19.2%
But what about pay? The following are salaries in the Tampa-St.Petersburg-Clearwater metro area for May 2014, as reported by the Bureau of Labor Statistics:
- Chefs and head cooks: $45,180
- Restaurant cooks: $24,760
- Bartenders: $25,440
- Waiters or waitresses: $21,350
- First-line supervisors: $32,450
Those who attend Clearwater culinary schools will learn to cook up the delights of this city filled with sun, fun and restaurants galore. Aspiring students can begin their journey right now by looking at the many attractive options Clearwater cooking schools can offer for a quality education.
- Clearwater Facts, City of Clearwater, http://www.visitclearwaterflorida.com/media/press-kit-category/clearwater-facts
- Dining Near the Waterfront, St. Petersburg Clearwater, http://www.visitstpeteclearwater.com/article/dining-near-waterfront
- Florida, Long Term Occupational Projections, https://www.projectionscentral.com/Projections/LongTerm
- Florida Restaurant Industry at a Glance, National Restaurant Association, http://www.restaurant.org/Downloads/PDFs/State-Statistics/2015/FL_Restaurants2015
- Hooters History: The Beginning, Hooters Restaurant, http://www.originalhooters.com/saga/the-beginning/
- Restaurant Employment Growth 2015 to 2025 (Projected), National Restaurant Association, http://www.restaurant.org/Restaurant/media/Restaurant/SiteImages/News%20and%20Research/Forecast/2015%20Forecast/2015EmpGrowthMap.jpg
- Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL, May 2014 Metropolitan and Nonmetropolitan Area Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates, Bureau of Labor Statistics, http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_45300.htm#35-0000
- Villa Bellini Restaurant, http://villabellinirestaurant.com/about.html