A Day in Cake Land (part 3)
Every Monday morning when I worked at Cake Nouveau, my boss would come in and we would start making the two new cupcakes flavors for that week. Every week the bakery served a vanilla and a chocolate cupcake, but every week two new flavors would be brought in. The flavors would usually be themed to the season or holiday. Pumpkin and cranberry during thanksgiving. Peppermint and gingerbread during Christmas. Key lime and lemonade in the summer.
One cupcake that we would make on a regular basis is our Kahlua cupcake. This was also my moms favorite cupcake.
3/4 lb. Butter
3 c. Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
4 c AP flour
1 1/2 c Cake Flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 c Cocoa Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1 3/4 milk
1 T Oil
Preheat over to 330 °F. In a stand mixer, cream the room temperature butter and sugar on medium until light and fluffy (about doubled in volume). Turing the mixer on slow, add the eggs with vanilla two at a time, making sure to mix throughly between. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl. Mix the dry ingredients and sift. Add half of the liquids and half of the dry mix. Mix on medium until smooth. Scrape down sides. Add remaining ingredients and mix until smooth.
Fill cupcakes pans with papers and scoop cupcake mix in and bake! *One tip is to use an ice cream scoop to ensure equal amounts of batter in each cup*
Set the cupcakes on a sheet pan or any other type of tray or plate you desire. While the cupcakes cool its time to make some buttercream to top the cupcakes.
1 c Egg Whites
1# 1 1/2 oz. Granulated Sugar
1 1/2 lb. Butter
Kahlua (to taste)
In your stand mixers bowl (or you can use any metal bowl) add the egg whites and sugar, and whisk together. Over a double boiler heat the egg mixture, stirring often, until the temperature reaches 140 °F. Place on your mixer and beat on high until the meringue is light and the temperature has reached about room temp. Slowly add the butter at medium speed until smooth. Add Kahlua slowly to your liking.
Using a medium sized star tip and pipe on the buttercream in a circular pattern. But, you can always be creative and pipe the buttercream however you might like!
Finally I like to top them with milk chocolate shavings and enjoy! These cupcakes are great to have with a spanish coffee in the afternoon but even just with a glass of milk they are very tasty. Hope you enjoy!
The Finished Product.
Browse Baking and Pastry Arts Schools & Colleges
- Art of Cooking (D)
- Culinary Management (BS)
- Program areas include Culinary Arts, Culinary Management, and more
- Students are taught cooking styles from around the globe, including Classical European, Asian, and Latin cuisine
- Curriculum designed to prepare students for a career as a chef, with course topics that include Culinary Techniques, Management by Menu, and Nutrition
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Professional Culinary Arts
- Hands-on culinary education with focused attention on each student
- An ACCSC School of Excellence with multiple “Best Vocational Cooking School” awards*
- 15,000 graduates, including celebrities like Bobby Flay, David Chang, and Christina Tosi*
- Programs in Culinary Entrepreneurship, Professional Culinary Arts, Professional Pastry Arts, and much more
- Campuses in New York and Silicon Valley with nearby housing available
- Received the 2015 and 2013 “Cooking School of the Year” Award of Excellence from the International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP).
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
- Externship opportunities are available at numerous famous New York City restaurants.
- Campus is located near downtown Manhattan, within walking distance of many popular attractions such as the Radio City Music Hall.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Provides students the opportunity to train at home in their spare time to get their high school diploma, train for a new career, or enhance current skills.
- Offers programs in psychology/social work, business management, medical billing, criminal justice, and more.
- Member of the United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA), the Canadian Network for Innovation in Education (CNIE), and the International Council for Open and Distance Education (ICDE).
- Features a fully flexible schedule with no classes to attend, leaving the study pace up to the student.
- Online Courses