Beyond Cupcakes: The Next Big Food Trends
The next time you see a line out the door at that shop on the corner, don't assume patrons are waiting for cupcakes. Tons of unique and hip foods are making their way onto the restaurant - and dessert - scene, from wacky donuts to chili pies. Here's our list (in no particular order) of the next big foods to stand in line for.
10 delicious foods you may want to try in the future
Meatballs: The Meatball Shop - Whether you're craving a meatball slider or a meatball hero, this place has it! With two New York City locations and one in Brooklyn, NY, this cool meatball shop offers diners beef, pork, chicken and even veggie meatballs, which is why it makes our list of next big foods to stand in line for.
Sandwiches: Ike's Place - Located in trendy downtown San Francisco, the more than 80 gourmet sandwiches on Ike's menu include dozens of vegan and vegetarian options - from the vegan strawberry girl (cucumbers, lettuce, tomato, Asian sesame dressing, soy cheese) to the Love Triangle (vegan breaded chicken, real honey, honey mustard, BBQ, pepper jack, Swiss, cheddar). But meat lovers, don't distress! There's tons on the menu for you too.
Soda Fountains: The Ice Cream Bar - You'll feel like you've stepped back into the 30s when you enter this cool San Francisco soda fountain that uses local organic dairy and produce for its homemade ice cream, soda and classic lunch-counter items. The Ice Cream Bar's menu boasts sundaes, malts, milkshakes and more - like homemade ice cream sandwiches in oatmeal, chocolate chip, sugar cookie and brownie or the classic root beer float, but with a twist ("our cold-brewed sassafras based elixir made with 11 herbs and spices").
Meat Pies: Dub Pies - This Brooklyn, NY joint takes the phrase "pie shop" to a whole new level. These "authentic Australian/New Zealand-style gourmet meat pies" can be purchased in the shop or bought online and then shipped to your home. If you're in the market for a 5-inch round dinner pie or a party pack of mini-pies, whether you're craving a steak pie, chili cheese pie or Tex-Mex vegetarian pie, you'll find it at Dub Pies - and chances are it'll be worth it.
Donuts: Voodoo Doughnut - Talk about a unique twist on donuts! Voodoo Doughnuts' two locations in Portland and one in Eugene, Ore. are serving up unusual breakfast - and anytime - treats like the Bacon Maple Bar (raised yeast doughnut with maple frosting and bacon on top), Captain My Captain (topped with vanilla frosting and Captain Crunch cereal), and, of course, the Voodoo Doll (made in the shape of, you guessed it, a voodoo doll). Can you say, "yum!"
Cake Pops: Natalie's Cake Pops - If you can dream it up, it's probably already on the menu of Natalie's Cake Pops. From watermelon pops - complete with chocolate chip "pits" - to funky frogs for kids to decorative pops fancy enough for a wedding, these delectable cake lollipops are shipped from Littleton, Colo., directly to your home (though no shipping May - August because of the heat).
Shawarma: Shawarma Spot - The unique concept of serving Middle Eastern cuisine quickly and efficiently for take-out or delivery puts this Washington, D.C. restaurant on our 'next big foods' list. Besides shawarma, the Shawarma Spot is serving up hummus, kabobs, gyros and more from D.C.'s trendy Adams Morgan neighborhood.
Pies: Chile Pies (& Ice Cream) - Whether it's sweet or savory you're craving, you can find it at this San Francisco, CA pie shop. The house specialty is a signature green chile apple pie (sweet apple & green chile filling, cheddar cheese crust and walnut streusel). Now that's a piece of pie worth waiting for!
Hot Dogs: The Gourmet Hotdog Company - This restaurant's healthy twist on hot dogs earned it a spot on our 'next big foods' list. Using top quality meats for their dogs (and even biodegradable packages to serve them in), this London eatery has everything from the classic frank to the chicken dog to the Chicago-style hot dog.
Peruvian Sandwiches: Sanguchon - Unique delights abound at this Peruvian sandwich truck in San Francisco's Potrero Hill. Founded by Chef Carlos Altamirano, who owns three Peruvian restaurants in California, the truck offers sandwiches with classic and contemporary Peruvian fillings, as well as traditional side dishes and homemade blended fruit drinks.
Culinary ideas worth trying
Whether this list of 10 unique foods has made your stomach growl or given you ideas for foods you want to try or recreate, it's hardly the end -- you can probably find more ideas online or even in your region -- - sometimes, but not always, it helps to have a city close-by.
Browse Baking and Pastry Arts Schools & Colleges
- Art of Cooking (D)
- Culinary Management (BS)
- Program areas include Culinary Arts, Culinary Management, and more
- Students are taught cooking styles from around the globe, including Classical European, Asian, and Latin cuisine
- Curriculum designed to prepare students for a career as a chef, with course topics that include Culinary Techniques, Management by Menu, and Nutrition
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Professional Culinary Arts
- Hands-on culinary education with focused attention on each student
- An ACCSC School of Excellence with multiple “Best Vocational Cooking School” awards*
- 15,000 graduates, including celebrities like Bobby Flay, David Chang, and Christina Tosi*
- Programs in Culinary Entrepreneurship, Professional Culinary Arts, Professional Pastry Arts, and much more
- Campuses in New York and Silicon Valley with nearby housing available
- Received the 2015 and 2013 “Cooking School of the Year” Award of Excellence from the International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP).
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
- Externship opportunities are available at numerous famous New York City restaurants.
- Campus is located near downtown Manhattan, within walking distance of many popular attractions such as the Radio City Music Hall.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Provides students the opportunity to train at home in their spare time to get their high school diploma, train for a new career, or enhance current skills.
- Offers programs in psychology/social work, business management, medical billing, criminal justice, and more.
- Member of the United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA), the Canadian Network for Innovation in Education (CNIE), and the International Council for Open and Distance Education (ICDE).
- Features a fully flexible schedule with no classes to attend, leaving the study pace up to the student.
- Online Courses