Luckily, Monday's exam was only our mock midterm. I'm only two weeks away from reaching the halfway point of finishing my nine-month program at the French Culinary Institute.
This exam was a real eye-opener.
Of course I drew the number to be the first group to turn in dishes. My assignment? I had to make consomme (a very clear, clean and flavorful soup) and boeuf bourguignon (beef burgundy).
We started at about 5:55 p.m. and my consomme was due at 8:43 p.m. I quickly prepped my vegetables to make a raft to clarify the consomme. It went well - my consomme had good flavor, the vegetables were uniform and the broth had very little grease in it.I was pleased considering how last week our chef said my consomme lacked salt and tasted especially flat.
My beef dish was a different story. Due at 9:41 p.m., I was nearly nine minutes late. We're docked seven points at the five-minute mark and a point for every two minutes after that point. Besides the meat, the dish had many components: sauteed mushrooms and bacons, pearl onions cooked to a nice golden color, diamond-shape croutons, fresh egg noodles and a reduced veal stock. My sauce was too thin and the beef needed more salt. The bright side: I had practiced making the egg noodles at home and it paid off.
Overall, I felt pretty good about the results except for being late. This just means more practice at home! As our chef said, you have a new day to redeem yourself in a kitchen.
Browse Culinary Arts Schools & Colleges
- A part of the Select Education Group (SEG).
- Offers several scholarship and financial aid opportunities for students who qualify.
- California campuses accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC), and accreditation for the Salem campus from the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET).
- 4 Campuses located in Clovis, Modesto, and Redding in California, and Salem, Oregon.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Hands-on culinary education with focused attention on each student
- An ACCSC School of Excellence with multiple “Best Vocational Cooking School” awards*
- 15,000 graduates, including celebrities like Bobby Flay, David Chang, and Christina Tosi*
- Programs in Culinary Entrepreneurship, Professional Culinary Arts, Professional Pastry Arts, and much more
- Campuses in New York and Silicon Valley with nearby housing available