Hot Bay Area Bars for a Girls' Night Out
Ladies, we know that going out with your girlfriends is a high-ranking priority. So we've compiled for you a list of the Top 50 bars/lounges in the San Francisco Bay Area for a ladies night out. Whether your goal is to unwind, nosh, sip cocktails, socialize, dance, hear live music or attract male attention, you'll find lots of places to do all of those things and more. And age doesn't matter -- everyone can enjoy these hot spots.
The bars/lounges that made it on this list boast a positive ambience and numerous or intriguing offerings in the way of food, drink, music and other entertainment. Here we go:
1515 Restaurant Lounge, 1515 N. Main St., Walnut Creek. The bar in this downtown restaurant is modern and chic with red, black and cream décor, and has a cool ambiance as well as TVs and a jukebox for entertainment.
Balboa Café, 3199 Fillmore St., San Francisco. One of San Francisco's oldest saloons, in the Marina/Cow Hollow neighborhood, this "in" place has a relaxed vibe, upscale crowd and elegant decor.
Bar Bocce, 1250 Bridgeway, Sausalito. The highlight of Bar Bocce is its outdoor scene with a bocce court, beach, fire pit and picturesque harbor views.
Ben & Nick's Bar & Grill, 5612 College Ave., Oakland. This pub in the North Oakland/Rockridge neighborhood serves bar food, local and hard-to-find beers, and well-crafted cocktails and offers a casual feel.
Bliss Bar, 4026 24th St., San Francisco. Bliss features a modern, lounge-type ambience with red leather couches and retro lighting, a DJ spinning tunes and daily happy hour.
Blue Pheasant Restaurant, 22100 Stevens Creek Blvd., Cupertino. Check out this upbeat lounge, on the Blackberry Golf Course grounds, for a swinging dance party with DJs playing 1950s to current hits.
Britannia Arms, 173 W. Santa Clara St., San Jose. This authentic British pub serves up your favorite beers and British food, both inside and outside on its spacious, heated patio, while live bands or DJs play tunes.
Bungalow 44, 44 E. Blithedale Ave., Mill Valley. The scene here is vibrant, the feel urban, the clientele sophisticated and the music live. It's a hip neighborhood spot inside a California cuisine restaurant.
Carlos Club, 612 El Camino Real, San Carlos. This is a warm, friendly and classy karaoke and dance club where state-of-the-art audio and four 50-inch, high-definition video screens enhance the experience.
Circa, 2001 Chestnut St., San Francisco. At Circa, in the Marina/Cow Hollow District, expect DJ music, dancing on a big floor, Mediterranean small plates, happy hour and available bottle service.
City Tavern, 3200 Fillmore St., San Francisco. This Marina/Cow Hollow District restaurant bar, with a sleek look and sophisticated air, features a happy hour menu, signature cocktails, an outdoor patio where dogs are allowed and big-screen TVs.
Clubhouse Bistro, 1221 Chess Drive, Foster City. For a fun party vibe, dancing, music and videos, this upscale cocktail lounge and nightclub in the Crowne Plaza Hotel is the place (guests dress up on weekends).
Coco Cabana, 4500 Tassajara Road, Dublin. The trendy, contemporary bar is part of this restaurant serving Latin American fare, including tapas. Enjoy the food and drink offerings, happy hour and the lively atmosphere.
Dan's Irish Sports Bar, 1524 Civic Drive, Walnut Creek. This neighborhood pub offers lots to do -- listen to jukebox or live music; play pool, golden tee golf or pinball; imbibe beer and cocktails; and meet new people.
District, 216 Townsend St., San Francisco. This wine bar in the SOMA neighborhood offers shareable plates that pair well with its wine selections, background music, dim lighting, comfortable seating and chic décor.
Forbidden Island Tiki Lounge, 1304 Lincoln Ave., Alameda. Escape to this tropical spot in the Bay Station Shopping District for luscious libations, music (jukebox to DJs to surf/lounge bands), event nights and themed events.
Fred's Place, 2534 Old Middlefield Way, Mountain View. Decompress here with friends, listening to jukebox music; competing at pool, foosball, pinball or darts; playing beer pong; or watching a sporting event on one of the big-screen TVs.
George & Walt's, 5445 College Ave., Oakland. The energy at this spacious sports bar (cash only) in the Rockridge/North Oakland area is vibrant and fun, due to the Internet jukebox, pool tables, video games, darts and more.
Goosetown Lounge, 1072 Lincoln Ave., San Jose. This secluded, intimate rock 'n' roll karaoke bar is great for dancing and, well, karaoke. Cozy up to the fireplace or enjoy the outdoors on the patio.
Harry's Bar, 2020 Fillmore St., San Francisco. This elegant neighborhood bar (in the Fillmore District) serves a distinctive cocktail list and American-style bar food, features rotating DJs and in-house music mixes and broadcasts major sporting events.
Hola! On the Avenue Mexican Restaurant & Cantina, 1448 Burlingame Ave., Burlingame. Featuring South of the Border décor like Saltillo tile floors and handicrafts, Hola! offers more than 100 specialty tequilas, Mexican food and late-night happy hour on Saturdays.
Hotsy Totsy Club, 601 San Pablo Avenue, Albany. Classy cocktails, transgressive cinema, shuffleboard, a jukebox chock-full of 45s from 1952 to 1979 and a refurbished pool table are what you'll find at this stylish bar with a retro dive feel.
Lift Lounge, 1321 Locust St., Walnut Creek. This lounge boasts happy hour, music, a photo booth, a comfortable atmosphere, cushy couches, huge TVs and available bottle service.
Los Altos Grill, 233 Third St., Los Altos. While live music plays in the background, the long, oval-shaped bar in the middle of this dimly lit restaurant buzzes with activity and radiates a positive energy.
Madera Lounge at the Rosewood Hotel, 2825 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park. To relax and unwind, Madera offers two settings: an elegant one with a fireplace indoors and a second outdoor one that overlooks the Rosewood's pool.
Main Street Brewery, 830 Main St., Pleasanton. At this downtown Pleasanton microbrewery, expect to find local wines, five-plus home brews, 12 rotating guest taps, live music on weekends, dancing and sports televised day and night.
Marinitas, 218 Sir Francis Drake Blvd., San Anselmo. Marinitas offers classic cocktail preparations including citrus juice squeezed to order, Latin fare and an atmosphere enhanced by contemporary Latin or DJ music.
Marvin Gardens, 1160 Old Country Road, Belmont. With neon beverage signs and a Wall of Beer on display and a giant-screen TV showing sports, the vibe here is that of a down-home, rustic tavern serving wine, beer and grub -- warm and friendly.
Milagros, 1099 Middlefield Road, Redwood City. For hand-shaken margaritas and sangrias, a fun bar atmosphere inside and out, happy hour and colorful southwestern décor, try Milagros.
Molly Magees, 241 Castro St., Mountain View. This authentic Irish pub in downtown Mountain View, also a sports bar by day and a club by night, offers DJs and dancing Thursday to Saturday and daily drink specials.
MoMo's, 760 Second St., San Francisco. A posh bar in the SOMA neighborhood (near AT&T Park), with happy hour and indoor and outdoor seating, MoMo's is a hot spot for watching the Giants (on its dozen TVs) or hitting before or after a live game.
Murphy's Law, 135 S. Murphy Ave., Sunnyvale. Check out this Irish pub and sports bar for drinks, food, sports broadcasts, live bands on the weekends, seating inside and out and a casual environment.
Petar's Restaurant & Lounge, 32 Lafayette Circle, Lafayette. All ages congregate at Petar's for music and dancing. Headliner Dave Hosley, who can play big band to disco to hip-hop, rocks the house Wednesday to Saturday nights.
Quattro Restaurant and Bar, 2050 University Ave., East Palo Alto. Sip fine wines and cocktails in the spirited, sophisticated Quattro Bar (in the Four Seasons), stylish and intimate with comfortable lounge seating, or take them to the terrace to drink under the stars.
Residual Sugar, 1684 Locust St., Walnut Creek. Residual Sugar is a laid-back wine bar boasting an extensive wine list; cheese, charcuterie and other edibles pairings; and desserts. Sample with friends while background music plays.
Sanctuary Ultra Lounge, 2369 First St., Livermore. Enjoy cocktails, wines, tapas, entrees and salads while sitting in a contemporary sofa, love seat or lounge chair, then switch gears at 10 p.m. when it morphs into a night spot with entertainment, live music and DJ dancing.
St. James Gate Irish Pub & Restaurant, 1410 Old Country Road, Belmont. You can't get bored here, with the live music, dancing, ping pong, golf putting, dart game and pool. Hang inside or out (there's a second bar and stage outdoors).
That Bar, 148 E. Prospect Ave., Danville. This bar is known for its Dueling Pianos (two pianists trying to outdo one another) every night but Tuesday, which is dedicated to trivia. The entertainment along with dancing, happy hour and the large flat-screen TVs keep the vibe friendly and fun.
The Buckeye Roadhouse, 15 Shoreline Highway, Mill Valley. Inside this Aspen lodge-like dining room is a rustic bar, a hopping place with comfortable leather booths and TV entertainment.
The Cigar Bar & Grill, 850 Montgomery St., San Francisco. At this Financial District smoking bar, you'll find premium rums, single malts, cognacs, wines and ports; a fully stocked humidor; happy hour; and live mainstream and Latin jazz music, perfect for dancing to.
The Office, 1748 El Camino Real, San Carlos. The Office boasts specialty bites like the Redneck Taco, cocktails like the Hot Receptionist and a full-size bocce court and live music for entertainment.
The Old Pro, 541 Ramona St., Palo Alto. Sports bar by day, The Old Pro on weekends draws lively, fun crowds willing to ride Bull Buckner (a mechanical bull), take some shots in the photo booth, select their jukebox favorites and mingle.
The Outpost Sports Bar & Grill, 2251 San Ramon Valley Blvd., San Ramon. Here you can expect DJ-hosted mixes Wednesday to Saturday with dancing, beer pong and pool, several huge TVs, two bars, a photo booth and even a punching bag machine.
The Rellik Tavern, 726 First St., Benicia. Enjoy the cozy seating, outdoor patio and flat-screen TVs at this upscale tavern in downtown Benicia, which features martinis, a large selection of draft beers, fine wines and cheese selections, bottle and VIP service areas.
The Saddle Rack, 42011 Boscell Road, Fremont. Western themed, The Saddle Rack serves up live entertainment, country-style dancing (lessons, too), mechanical bull rides, Red Bull Specialty Bar drinks and food. Take along your cowboy hat.
Town, 716 Laurel St., San Carlos. The centerpiece of this American cuisine restaurant in downtown San Carlos, the huge bar offers refreshing cocktails, happy hour and a trendy scene.
Unwined, 6956 Almaden Expressway, San Jose. For an Almaden Valley wine bar with more than 50 selections; cheese, tapas, salads and sandwiches; light jazz; wine tastings (Wednesdays); and live music (Thursday and Saturdays); you should Unwined.
Vinnie's Bar & Grill, 2045 Mount Diablo St., Concord. Check out Vinnie's for an eclectic mix of live music -- acoustic, country, electric and salsa -- dancing, traditional American fare, darts and pool.
Vintage Wine Bar, 368 Santana Row, Ste. 1040, San Jose. At Vintage, you can sit in the classy bar or lounge on the outdoor patio, listen to live music, sample from the many wine selections of wine and feast on bites like artisanal cheeses and olives.
Willi's Wine Bar, 4404 Old Redwood Highway, Santa Rosa. Linger over a glass of wine, enjoy a quick bite (the menu features 30 international small plates, both inventive and expected) and socialize at this casual, friendly wine bar.
Featured Culinary Schools
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Provides students the opportunity to train at home in their spare time to get their high school diploma, train for a new career, or enhance current skills.
- Offers programs in psychology/social work, business management, medical billing, criminal justice, and more.
- Member of the United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA), the Canadian Network for Innovation in Education (CNIE), and the International Council for Open and Distance Education (ICDE).
- Features a fully flexible schedule with no classes to attend, leaving the study pace up to the student.
- Online Courses
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- Online Courses
- Financial Aid
- Received the 2013 “Cooking School of the Year” Award of Excellence from the International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP).
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
- Externship opportunities are available at numerous famous New York City restaurants.
- Campus is located near downtown Manhattan, within walking distance of many popular attractions such as the Radio City Music Hall.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Recognized on the President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll every year from 2010-2014
- Day and evening classes are available for flexible scheduling.
- Offers bachelor’s, associate, and diploma programs in business, culinary arts, criminal justice, cosmetology, and more.
- Takes a unique “Focused Learning” approach, where students typically take only one class per month to concentrate on one subject with one faculty member at a time.
- Accredited by the Accrediting Council on Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS).
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Instructors are typically real-world professionals with many years of experience in their career fields.
- Ranked #3 in Best for Vets: Career & Technical Colleges 2014 by Military Times.
- Presents the full tuition cost up front. In most cases, even textbooks are included in the total price.
- Provides career services associates to help students review their resume, provide career counseling, help with job searches, and more.
- Has 27 campus locations across the southern United States, plus offers online degree programs.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Each campus features a public restaurant where culinary students work under the direction of professional chefs for real-world experience.
- Hosts Platt College’s Food Fight, a friendly dessert competition for students held once a month.
- Offers programs in culinary arts, nursing, and healthcare.
- Accredited by the American Culinary Federation (AFC) and Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
- 5 campuses in Lawton, North and Central Oklahoma City, Moore, and Tulsa, Oklahoma.