I Scream, You Scream...
We all scream for ice cream! I think everyone knows this saying, but for me…I really scream for ice cream. I can eat it anytime of the day regardless of whether or not I’m hungry. I’ll go from the basic vanilla to the funky like wasabi. I think its more than the sweet, cool flavor for me and also extends into the texture as something I crave.
That being said, the knowledge that in my current class, pastry techniques, we learn how to make ice cream and use the ice cream machine was simply thrilling to me. Earlier this week, Chef demonstrated how to make the most basic using a vanilla sauce. From this sauce, just about any flavor can be made (but you may want to lose the vanilla). It was a true test of patience for me to learn that even though the base was made, we had to wait a day to run it in the machine and taste it. Chef said this “ripens” and improves the flavor. Obviously, it was well worth the wait and made it even more exciting to make our base flavors and use the machine.
My partner and I and the team behind us made chocolate ice cream use the vanilla base. It was so simple. We made the same vanilla base as Chef and also melted some chocolate. After the sauce was made, we simply ladled some into the melted chocolate and then mixed it into the rest of the sauce. Again, we had to wait to spin it, but tomorrow is the big day!
The really exciting part about learning how to make ice cream is preparing for grand buffet. We make the basic flavors but as a group select several special flavors to make. Of course, my mind went wild and came up with a giant list. One of my ideas will be made: a dark chocolate ice cream with a salty caramel swirl. I can’t wait to see how it comes out!
Browse Culinary Arts Schools & Colleges
- Hands-on culinary education with focused attention on each student
- An ACCSC School of Excellence with multiple “Best Vocational Cooking School” awards*
- 15,000 graduates, including celebrities like Bobby Flay, David Chang, and Christina Tosi*
- Programs in Culinary Entrepreneurship, Professional Culinary Arts, Professional Pastry Arts, and much more
- Campuses in New York and Silicon Valley with nearby housing available
- A part of the Select Education Group (SEG).
- Offers several scholarship and financial aid opportunities for students who qualify.
- California campuses accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC), and accreditation for the Salem campus from the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET).
- 4 Campuses located in Clovis, Modesto, and Redding in California, and Salem, Oregon.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits