I'm BFFs with Baking Soda
This week, during my internship, I became best friends with baking soda. We started with "come here often?" and quickly moved to "what are you doing after?" Its cousin, baking powder, and I became buddies as well. I can't tell you what I was baking (trade secret), but I can tell you that I've personally baked it at least 15 times, and the test cook and other interns have added to that count on the days I was busy with other projects - I think the running total is at least 40 times. I've learned more about baking and the science behind baking in the last four weeks, than I did in one school semester. I never want to eat this particular recipe again, as long as I live, but it has made me a better cook and baker, for sure.
As promised (to myself), I slowed down, double checked everything, and was precise, resulting in zero cooking mistakes. Next week, I'm the lead intern, which basically means I'm the point person for any deliveries or general kitchen questions. I also switch from the Magazine Team to the Cook Book Team. I'll miss working with the Magazine Team, but excited to move from baking into savory cooking.
We'll be getting our internship projects in the next few weeks - we have to develop, test and write a 1000 word recipe/ingredient based story. I started practicing my magazine voice on my blog the other day and think I came pretty close: Saturday Night Fish Fry. What do you think…does it sound like the ATK voice?
Browse Culinary Arts Schools & Colleges
- Hands-on culinary education with focused attention on each student
- An ACCSC School of Excellence with multiple “Best Vocational Cooking School” awards*
- 15,000 graduates, including celebrities like Bobby Flay, David Chang, and Christina Tosi*
- Programs in Culinary Entrepreneurship, Professional Culinary Arts, Professional Pastry Arts, and much more
- Campuses in New York and Silicon Valley with nearby housing available
- A part of the Select Education Group (SEG).
- Offers several scholarship and financial aid opportunities for students who qualify.
- California campuses accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC), and accreditation for the Salem campus from the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET).
- 4 Campuses located in Clovis, Modesto, and Redding in California, and Salem, Oregon.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits