It Feels Good To Be Back!
When I was 13 I broke my wrist playing on a trampoline; since then I have had an increasing amount of pain in my wrist and hand.Up until the past two years I have been able to do just about regular activity…including baking.Although, as the pain in my wrist intensified (as well as the pain in my back) it became hard for me to do any activity from kneading fondant to typing blogs.
When I moved back home to Michigan this past spring I started talking with my Orthopedic Surgeon about what the next step was to get it fixed, he scheduled the date to have an arthroscopy and carple tunnel release.
Finding new means
In the meantime I found ways to work around my wrist, like buying an extra wrist brace so that just incase it gets dirty I don’t have to wait for it to dry, or using my elbow and body weight to hold bowls.It’s amazing how easily you can learn to adapt in situations like this and learn new techniques that will help you continue your everyday tasks.
A little over a month ago, I was wheeled into the operating room to have my wrist fixed.After having the carple tunnel release they moved onto the arthroscopy where they debrided a torn ligament on the side of my wrist.Once I was awake after surgery, I could already feel immediate pain relief.
Now a month later my hand is still feeling good and getting better everyday.While it is still hard to move around or lift anything over 3 pounds, as you can tell I am already back to typing!Hopefully soon lots of baking is to come.
Browse Culinary Arts Schools & Colleges
- Each campus features a public restaurant where culinary students work under the direction of professional chefs for real-world experience.
- Hosts Platt College’s Food Fight, a friendly dessert competition for students held once a month.
- Offers programs in culinary arts, nursing, and healthcare.
- Accredited by the American Culinary Federation (AFC) and Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
- 5 campuses in Lawton, North and Central Oklahoma City, Moore, and Tulsa, Oklahoma.
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Hands-on culinary education with focused attention on each student
- An ACCSC School of Excellence with multiple “Best Vocational Cooking School” awards*
- 15,000 graduates, including celebrities like Bobby Flay, David Chang, and Christina Tosi*
- Programs in Culinary Entrepreneurship, Professional Culinary Arts, Professional Pastry Arts, and much more
- Campuses in New York and Silicon Valley with nearby housing available
- Gives students the opportunity to earn their associate’s degree in the culinary arts field in less than 15 months or bachelor’s degree in the food service management field in 2.5 years through their year-round schedule.
- Located in Norfolk and Newport News, Virginia.
- Offers externship experiences to students for experience in the field.
- Hosts regular career fairs for employer recruitment.
- Has student housing available.
- Accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACSCOC).
Baker College is the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. Our mission is to prepare you for meaningful employment.
- Received the 2015 and 2013 “Cooking School of the Year” Award of Excellence from the International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP).
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
- Externship opportunities are available at numerous famous New York City restaurants.
- Campus is located near downtown Manhattan, within walking distance of many popular attractions such as the Radio City Music Hall.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Ranked among the Best Colleges in the South in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Ranked the 13th Best College for Veterans in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- A private institution founded in 1977 with a current total undergraduate enrollment of over 15,00.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 12:1, and 89.3% of classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Has students attend one class at a time to ensure easy access to faculty and a more hands-on education.