On the Spot
Students at the French Culinary Institute get valuable experience working in the school's restaurant, L'Ecole: You face the pressures of a real restaurant but have chefs to guide you along the way.
But students do face a little more trepidation when they have to pick a vegetarian dish to serve the public on the dinner menu. Students rotate among various stations in the kitchen and when the reach "entrementier" station (basically side dishes or specials), each student in the group must pick a vegetarian option that's an entree-sized portion.
This week it was my turn. My choice was a trio of a potato-mushroom gratin plated in between one wedge of a roasted-red pepper, goat cheese and herb frittata and caramelized onion-gruyere frittata with harissa on the side. There was also a frisee, arugula and fennel salad on top.
I was excited by having a dish I put together being on a restaurant menu, but my nervousness that I wouldn't get everything done in time and make sure it tasted decent trumped any other thoughts the other night. Would I over season (aka-douse my food in salt)? Would I make enough? What if things just didn't turn out right?
In the end, it tasted fine. One frittata was a little bigger than the other (we cut the bottom to solve this dilemma) and the potato-mushroom gratin had to go into the blast freezer to set. But I was pleased with our plating and most importantly, people actually ordered it.
I breathed a sigh of relief and at the end of service, I thought to myself, "This is why I love cooking."
Browse Culinary Arts Schools & Colleges
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Hands-on culinary education with focused attention on each student
- An ACCSC School of Excellence with multiple “Best Vocational Cooking School” awards*
- 15,000 graduates, including celebrities like Bobby Flay, David Chang, and Christina Tosi*
- Programs in Culinary Entrepreneurship, Professional Culinary Arts, Professional Pastry Arts, and much more
- Campuses in New York and Silicon Valley with nearby housing available
- Received the 2015 and 2013 “Cooking School of the Year” Award of Excellence from the International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP).
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
- Externship opportunities are available at numerous famous New York City restaurants.
- Campus is located near downtown Manhattan, within walking distance of many popular attractions such as the Radio City Music Hall.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Ranked among the Best Colleges in the South in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Ranked the 13th Best College for Veterans in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- A private institution founded in 1977 with a current total undergraduate enrollment of over 15,00.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 12:1, and 89.3% of classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Has students attend one class at a time to ensure easy access to faculty and a more hands-on education.
- Students get real-world experience through the required externship at the end of the program.
- Curriculum includes laboratory sessions, academic preparation and hands-on experience.
- Program objectives are to provide students with skills needed for cooking wholesome, attractive, food preparations and to assist graduates in obtaining positions in the food service industry.
- Accredited by the American Culinary Federation (ACF).
- Has campuses in Melbourne, Sarasota, and Tallahassee, Florida
- Listed on the 2013 President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll by the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS).
- Offers intern and externship placement assistance for real-world experience.
- Offers programs in culinary arts, pastry arts, and hospitality & restaurant management.
- Accredited by the American Culinary Federation Education Foundation (ACFEF).
- 2 campus locations in Indianapolis, Indiana and Morrisville, North Carolina.