I arrived in Paris a week ago and have been in a state of culinary bliss since the minute I stepped off the plane. I am staying in the apartment of some friends while they are away on their own vacation, and I must say that this is the only way to do Paris. Sure I have to make my own bed and open my own doors, but in exchange I have a kitchen to cook in and a place to store all of the delicacies that I accumulate throughout each day. This also means that, unlike most tourists, I am not limited to dining only in restaurants and that the gorgeous plump figs, perfectly ripened cheeses and vast incarnations of foie gras that scream out to me as I walk past, can find their way home with me to be delighted upon for days to follow. The problem is that I am starting to find my miniscule, Parisian fridge difficult to close as I keep cramming it with more and more.
Every neighborhood in Paris is lined with small food shops. In the few blocks that I walk each day from my flat to the nearest metro station I pass two patisseries, a cheese shop, a produce shop, a butcher and charcuterie, a shop featuring caviar and smoked and pickled fish, a foie gras shop and a candy shop. The temptation is overwhelming and the quality of ingredients is so high here, that it’s tough to restrain myself. Soon I’ll return to the States, though, where the patisserie and cheese shops will be replaced by 7-11′s and KFC’s and I know I’d better take advantage of what’s around me while I can.
Browse Culinary Arts Schools & Colleges
- A part of the Select Education Group (SEG).
- Offers several scholarship and financial aid opportunities for students who qualify.
- California campuses accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC), and accreditation for the Salem campus from the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET).
- 4 Campuses located in Clovis, Modesto, and Redding in California, and Salem, Oregon.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Hands-on culinary education with focused attention on each student
- An ACCSC School of Excellence with multiple “Best Vocational Cooking School” awards*
- 15,000 graduates, including celebrities like Bobby Flay, David Chang, and Christina Tosi*
- Programs in Culinary Entrepreneurship, Professional Culinary Arts, Professional Pastry Arts, and much more
- Campuses in New York and Silicon Valley with nearby housing available