Squeaky wheel gets to do food writing
One of the main reasons I applied for my current externship is because the company offers everything I love, all rolled into one place: food writing, recipe development, television, photography and marketing. I've had the opportunity to watch everything from afar, asking as many questions as I can fit into a day, but I wanted more - I didn't want to just watch, I wanted to do.
I wanted to write a food article, try a screen test in front of the camera, practice food styling, develop my own recipes and discuss social media and marketing ideas on how the Test Kitchen can better fit into the ever evolving Internet food craze.
Four of the five "wants" on my list received a big fat "no," which was extremely disappointing. But the door for writing was never quite closed all the way, so I focused on that. After five weeks of asking, pitching and begging, a new online writing opportunity opened up, and I managed to get all those in the daisy chain to agree to give me a chance to write something. The piece will involve developing a recipe, writing the story, food styling and photography, for possible online publication later in the year. I’m also thinking of using my Flip Video to do a quick demo.
I'm not sure when or if it will actually be published online, but I'm excited for the chance, just the same — it will be a great exercise. And if it is published, I can then market and pimp it across all social media platforms.
I suppose, in a strange way, I got to do everything I wanted to after all.
Browse Culinary Arts Schools & Colleges
- Hands-on culinary education with focused attention on each student
- An ACCSC School of Excellence with multiple “Best Vocational Cooking School” awards*
- 15,000 graduates, including celebrities like Bobby Flay, David Chang, and Christina Tosi*
- Programs in Culinary Entrepreneurship, Professional Culinary Arts, Professional Pastry Arts, and much more
- Campuses in New York and Silicon Valley with nearby housing available
- A part of the Select Education Group (SEG).
- Offers several scholarship and financial aid opportunities for students who qualify.
- California campuses accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC), and accreditation for the Salem campus from the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET).
- 4 Campuses located in Clovis, Modesto, and Redding in California, and Salem, Oregon.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits