On The Rise
It wasn’t too long ago when cupcakes started hitting its comeback, now with cupcake bakeries in just about every city across this great nation.You can even find cupcakes in almost every big-named chain restaurants, it seems like it won’t be long until you can pick one up at your corner fast-food hamburger joint.
With the popularity of the cupcake came the new love for everything sweet; in every shape, size, and color.Everything sweet is the latest sensation, from a clothing store called ‘Johnny Cupcakes’, chocolate inspired jewelry, and even a winery called Cupcake Vineyards.So, it’s no surprise that the television channel Bravo would make a spin-off of their popular show and create Top Chef: Just Desserts.
As a pastry chef and general lover of all things chocolate, I was ecstatic to see a new show that would show off all of the talents of a pastry chef besides just decorating 300-pound cakes with fondant and fireworks.Even though I love those shows too.Top Chef: Just Desserts is a contest between professional pastry chefs, each week one pastry Chef is eliminated after participating in cook-off style contests.Each contest gets harder as the show progresses, showing off the skill of each chef.
Whisk in Some Fun
Not only is this an entertaining show but I think this could really be educational to the thousands of people in the country whom are not professionals but have a love for the field.Hopefully one will watch the show to enjoy an hour of their Thursday nights but also get a better sense of what a pastry chef really is.
Browse Culinary Arts Schools & Colleges
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Received the 2015 and 2013 “Cooking School of the Year” Award of Excellence from the International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP).
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
- Externship opportunities are available at numerous famous New York City restaurants.
- Campus is located near downtown Manhattan, within walking distance of many popular attractions such as the Radio City Music Hall.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Hands-on culinary education with focused attention on each student
- An ACCSC School of Excellence with multiple “Best Vocational Cooking School” awards*
- 15,000 graduates, including celebrities like Bobby Flay, David Chang, and Christina Tosi*
- Programs in Culinary Entrepreneurship, Professional Culinary Arts, Professional Pastry Arts, and much more
- Campuses in New York and Silicon Valley with nearby housing available
- Ranked among the Best Colleges in the South in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Ranked the 13th Best College for Veterans in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- A private institution founded in 1977 with a current total undergraduate enrollment of over 15,00.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 12:1, and 89.3% of classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Has students attend one class at a time to ensure easy access to faculty and a more hands-on education.
Sullivan University is a private institution of higher learning dedicated to providing educational enrichment opportunities for the intellectual, social and professional development of its students.
- Students get real-world experience through the required externship at the end of the program.
- Curriculum includes laboratory sessions, academic preparation and hands-on experience.
- Program objectives are to provide students with skills needed for cooking wholesome, attractive, food preparations and to assist graduates in obtaining positions in the food service industry.
- Accredited by the American Culinary Federation (ACF).
- Has campuses in Melbourne, Sarasota, and Tallahassee, Florida
- Gives students the opportunity to earn their associate’s degree in the culinary arts field in less than 15 months or bachelor’s degree in the food service management field in 2.5 years through their year-round schedule.
- Located in Norfolk and Newport News, Virginia.
- Offers externship experiences to students for experience in the field.
- Hosts regular career fairs for employer recruitment.
- Has student housing available.
- Accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACSCOC).