The best (internship) day, ever
Today was a very good day in the Test Kitchen; today I started my ATK blog project.
After researching ingredients for a few days, I selected several recipes from respected sources, then cooked and presented the recipes for tasting this afternoon. I had as many people as possible taste each recipe, including a couple of the senior editors.
I recorded the data gathered from everyone’s feedback (what worked and didn’t work from each recipe), brainstormed a little bit with the test cook to whom I’m reporting, and am now developing a completely new recipe as we speak, based on the feedback. The new recipe will be broken down into several additional tests, exploring ingredient variations.
Once the new recipes are tasted and evaluated next week, I’ll develop the final recipe, write the story, take photos, film a short video, and submit everything for editorial review.
Having creative control over the project and a voice felt great. I think I’m most excited about the food styling and photography; I plan to create the same set up I use at home, taking photos on a rolling cart out in the sunlight. Instead of on my sunny Orlando porch, I’ll be in the Boston back alley where the Test Kitchen films their BBQ segments. The alley will no doubt present some lighting challenges, which I’ll scout out tomorrow, after searching through our photo props for the perfect linens and plates.
I’m not sure if I can top today, but I’m sure going to try tomorrow.
Browse Culinary Arts Schools & Colleges
- Hands-on culinary education with focused attention on each student
- An ACCSC School of Excellence with multiple “Best Vocational Cooking School” awards*
- 15,000 graduates, including celebrities like Bobby Flay, David Chang, and Christina Tosi*
- Programs in Culinary Entrepreneurship, Professional Culinary Arts, Professional Pastry Arts, and much more
- Campuses in New York and Silicon Valley with nearby housing available
- A part of the Select Education Group (SEG).
- Offers several scholarship and financial aid opportunities for students who qualify.
- California campuses accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC), and accreditation for the Salem campus from the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET).
- 4 Campuses located in Clovis, Modesto, and Redding in California, and Salem, Oregon.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits