Today was a very good day in the Test Kitchen; today I started my ATK blog project.

After researching ingredients for a few days, I selected several recipes from respected sources, then cooked and presented the recipes for tasting this afternoon. I had as many people as possible taste each recipe, including a couple of the senior editors.

I recorded the data gathered from everyone’s feedback (what worked and didn’t work from each recipe), brainstormed a little bit with the test cook to whom I’m reporting, and am now developing a completely new recipe as we speak, based on the feedback. The new recipe will be broken down into several additional tests, exploring ingredient variations.

Once the new recipes are tasted and evaluated next week, I’ll develop the final recipe, write the story, take photos, film a short video, and submit everything for editorial review.

Having creative control over the project and a voice felt great. I think I’m most excited about the food styling and photography; I plan to create the same set up I use at home, taking photos on a rolling cart out in the sunlight. Instead of on my sunny Orlando porch, I’ll be in the Boston back alley where the Test Kitchen films their BBQ segments. The alley will no doubt present some lighting challenges, which I’ll scout out tomorrow, after searching through our photo props for the perfect linens and plates.

I’m not sure if I can top today, but I’m sure going to try tomorrow.