The Pastry Price Police
Free Birthday Products
Today is my sisters’ birthday, Happy Birthday Nikki, and we decided to visit a local bakehouse and creamery to get some free bagels and gelato for her.This bakehouse (which will remain unnamed) is well known, not only in Ann Arbor but across this country.They make some great breads and house cheeses, and are particularly known to sell a wide array of different jams and jelly’s’ that you can have shipped to your house.
We walked in, and my sister ordered her Free bagels, and we also bought some pretzels and a loaf of sourdough.Then walked next door to buy some cream cheese, piave, and free gelato.Everyone we encountered was very friendly and helpful.Going into the stores is a pleasant experience, its only the paying and leaving that is difficult.
This bakery is also known for another thing: inflated prices.One thin, rock-hard bagel costs $1.35, about a half cup of melted gelato costs $4.00 and an eighth of a pound container of flavored cream cheese costs $8.50!I could not believe the prices of these items.How could they charge this much money for mediocre products?
It’s not unlike huge brands like Chanel, Prada, and Gucci that can charge whatever they want to for the their products.Regardless of their quality or true value.Just because your business is trendy or in demand and ‘hot’ means that the price is greatly inflated.It makes me frustrated to see these bakeries, restaurants, etc that have a low quality product that sells for a high amount, where just around the corner is the cheapest place you could find that has the best tasting food!
Browse Baking and Pastry Arts Schools & Colleges
- Hands-on culinary education with focused attention on each student
- An ACCSC School of Excellence with multiple “Best Vocational Cooking School” awards*
- 15,000 graduates, including celebrities like Bobby Flay, David Chang, and Christina Tosi*
- Programs in Culinary Entrepreneurship, Professional Culinary Arts, Professional Pastry Arts, and much more
- Campuses in New York and Silicon Valley with nearby housing available
- A part of the Select Education Group (SEG).
- Offers several scholarship and financial aid opportunities for students who qualify.
- California campuses accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC), and accreditation for the Salem campus from the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET).
- 4 Campuses located in Clovis, Modesto, and Redding in California, and Salem, Oregon.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits