Ahi Tuna Nicoise Salad Recipe
The beautifully composed salads, which were served by the first garde mangers in the early French restaurants, are still popular today. This is a modern salad that has its roots in an historic preparation.
- 1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1 anchovy fillet, mashed
- 1 tsp. minced fresh garlic
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 c. pure olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh Italian parsley leaves, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups mixed greens, washed and dried
- 1/2 lb. small new potatoes, halved, cooked and cooled
- 1/2 lb haricots verts, blanched in salted water and cooled
- cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup pitted nicoise olives
- 8 white anchovy fillets
- 2 Tbsp. capers
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 4 large eggs
- 4- 6oz. pieces fresh sushi-quality Ahi tuna
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients for the vinaigrette in a jar or cruet and place the cap on tightly.
- Shake well to blend and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Place the eggs in a medium sized pot and add cold water so that it comes an inch over the top of the eggs.
- Place the eggs on high heat and bring to a boil.
- As soon as the water begins to boil cover the eggs and move the pot to a cool burner.
- Set a timer for 12 minutes.
- When the timer goes off drain the water off of the eggs and cool under cold running water until cool enough to handle.
- Fill pot with cold water and let the eggs continue to cool off.
- Place a large sauté pan over high heat.
- Rub the tuna filets all over with the olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- When the pan is very hot, place the tuna in it and sear for 1-2 minutes on each side until lightly browned (it should still be quite rare inside).
- Remove the tuna from the pan and allow it to rest on a cutting board.
- To assemble the salad, place the potatoes, haricot vert, olives, anchovies, capers, and red onions in a large bowl.
- Drizzle about half of the vinaigrette into the bowl and toss the ingredients with it. Taste and add more vinaigrette and salt and pepper as needed.
- Place a cup of mixed greens on each of 4 plates and arrange the potatoes, haricot vert, olives, anchovies, capers, red onions, and tomatoes nicely atop the greens. You can keep each in its own separate pile or distribute the vegetables randomly.
- Peel the eggs and cut into quarters and place 4 quarters on each plate.
- Slice the tuna into thin medallions and arrange on each of the plates.
- Drizzle the plates with more vinaigrette and serve.
Browse Culinary Arts Schools & Colleges
Refine School Matches
Results open in new window
Matching School Ads
Culinary Arts (AS)
The Art Institutes system of schools , Henderson
- Baking & Pastry (D)
- Culinary Management (BS)
Read less [-]
- Program areas include Culinary Arts, Culinary Management, and more
- Students are taught cooking styles from around the globe, including Classical European, Asian, and Latin cuisine
- Curriculum designed to prepare students for a career as a chef, with course topics that include Culinary Techniques, Management by Menu, and Nutrition
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
Intensive Sommelier Training
International Culinary Center , Campbell
- Hands-on culinary education with focused attention on each student
- An ACCSC School of Excellence with multiple “Best Vocational Cooking School” awards*
- 15,000 graduates, including celebrities like Bobby Flay, David Chang, and Christina Tosi*
- Programs in Culinary Entrepreneurship, Professional Culinary Arts, Professional Pastry Arts, and much more
- Campuses in New York and Silicon Valley with nearby housing available
Institute of Culinary Education , New York
- Received the 2015 and 2013 “Cooking School of the Year” Award of Excellence from the International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP).
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
- Externship opportunities are available at numerous famous New York City restaurants.
- Campus is located near downtown Manhattan, within walking distance of many popular attractions such as the Radio City Music Hall.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid