Asian BBQ Chicken Recipe
This recipe throws an Asian flavor twist into a classic BBQ recipe. This chicken is great with a tangy slaw or bitter green salad.
- 4 large chicken breasts, bone in, skin on
- 3 Tbsp. Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 Tbsp. granulated garlic
- 1 tsp. powdered ginger
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. chili flakes
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- Salt & pepper
- Combine ingredients for dry rub and rub thoroughly onto chicken, including under the skin.
- Allow rubbed chicken to sit in the refrigerator for 3-6 hours.
- In the meantime prepare the BBQ sauce.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed sauce pot and add the onion and cook until soft, but not browned.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and chili flakes to the pot and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, chicken stock, and honey to the pot and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and whisk in the remaining ingredients and adjust seasoning as needed.
- To cook the chicken, heat a gas fired grill to medium-high.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper and place, skin side down, on the grill.
- Cook until the skin starts to crisp up and the chicken can be turned without the skin sticking to the grill. Turn the flame on the grill down if the skin starts to get too dark too quickly.
- Turn the chicken over and continue cooking, skin side up, until the meat is just about cooked through (about 15 minutes).
- Brush a layer of BBQ sauce onto each breast and continue cooking.
- Repeat with 3 more applications of BBQ sauce, allowing the sauce to cook down on the chicken for a few minutes before each application.
- Remove chicken when it is cooked through.
- Serve chicken with remaining BBQ sauce on the side for those who like it extra saucy.