Basic Pasta Dough Recipe
Although some recipes call for pasta dough made in a food processor or stand up mixer, the classical way is to mix and knead it all by hand. This recipe calls for a couple of extra yolks for added richness and a deep yellow flavor.
- 2 cups finely ground semolina flour
- 2 large eggs, whole
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Mound the flour on a work surface and make a large well in the center.
- Crack the whole eggs, yolk, salt, and oil into a small dish (discard any shell that falls in).
- Pour egg mixture into the center of the well and beat with a fork until blended.
- Continue to beat egg mixture, incorporating flour a little at a time by taking it from the inside wall of the well.
- Try to keep the rest of the wall intact by supporting the outside of it with your other hand.
- When the mixture becomes a thick paste, begin to mix in the flour with your hands.
- Continue to knead enough of the flour into the dough to allow it to form a soft ball.
- Brush the remaining flour on the work surface to the side and knead dough, flouring the surface of the dough as needed to keep dough from sticking. Knead until smooth and elastic. This should take about another 5 minutes.
- Shape the dough into a tight ball and lightly dust the dough with a bit more flour, wrap it in plastic wrap, and let stand at room temperature for about an hour before working with it.