Vegetable Stock Recipe
Servings: 1 gallon
This is a simple preparation that is well rounded in flavor. Use this stock as is for broth based soups or reduce the finished product for a rich, vegetable flavored liquid that can be added to any recipe that can use a little depth of flavor.
- 5 peeled carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 large yellow onions, cut into large chunks
- 1 celery stalk, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 fennel bulb, cut into large chunks
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cut into quarters, seeds and stems removed
- 12 small brown mushrooms, wiped clean and cut in half
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 6 Roma or medium round tomatoes, cut in half
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 1 dry bay leaf
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Stems from 1/2 bunch parsley
- 1 gallon water
- Place all ingredients in a large pot and bring to a rapid simmer over high heat.
- Reduce heat so that stock remains at a steady, medium simmer.
- Cook for 1 hour.
- Strain stock through a cheesecloth lined strainer.