Beef Consommé Recipe
Servings: 1 gallon
Consommé is a classic French preparation of white beef stock clarified to produce a crystal clear broth. Once finished, its appearance is deceiving because it looks quite simple but the taste is rich and complex. Consommé is typically garnished with very finely diced, blanched vegetables.
- 1 yellow onion cut into 1/2 inch thick slices and quickly browned in a dry pan
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup diced leek, white part only
- 1 small turnip, peeled and diced
- 1 small parsnip, peeled and diced
- 3 lbs. ground lean beef
- 10 egg whites, beaten until frothy
- 2 cups peeled, seeded, and diced tomatoes
- 1 sprig thyme, 1 bay leaf, 4 parsley stems, 5 black peppercorns tied together in a small cheesecloth pouch
- 1 gallon + 1 quart white beef stock, cold
- Combine all ingredients except for the herbs and stock in a large pot, making sure to mix them together well.
- Add the stock and mix well.
- Add the herb pouch.
- Bring the mixture just to a boil, stirring frequently.
- As soon as the boil begins, reduce the heat so that it continues at a steady simmer.
- A thick, white foamy layer, called the raft, forms at the top of the pot.
- Using a spoon, gently break a small opening in the raft, about 2-3 inches wide so that you can see the liquid underneath.
- Allow the Consommé to continue at a slow, steady simmer for 1-1 1/2 hours.
- To strain the stock, carefully move the raft to the side and use a ladle to remove the liquid from the pot.
- Pour it through a strainer that has been lined with a triple layer of damp cheese cloth.
- Try to remove as little of the raft as possible as you remove the liquid, this ensures a crystal clear Consommé.
- When all of the Consommé has been removed from the pot, season it with salt to taste.
Featured Culinary Schools
- Its first location, in Paris, officially opened its doors as a culinary school in 1895.
- Teaches students by having them spend significant time in the kitchen practicing precision techniques.
- Provide hands-on training from instructors who are certified, master chefs.
- Offer flexible schedules and online programs.
- Has 30 schools worldwide, spanning 5 continents, including 17 campuses in the U.S.
- Online Courses
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Offers more than 150 self-paced, career-relevant programs that are connected to a supportive 24/7 online community of students and faculty.
- Profiled in many publications such as The Boston Globe, Fox Business, and Inside Higher Ed.
- Nearly 25,000 graduates each year.
- Accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC).
- Founded in 1890 in Scranton, Pennsylvania
- Online Courses