Champagne-Melon Soup with Lime Sorbet and Minted Raspberries Recipe
The wonderful blend of flavors in this light, refreshing dessert is given an extra kick with the addition of the Champagne.
For the sorbet:
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. lime zest, chopped
For the raspberries:
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. fresh mint leaves, sliced very thin
For the soup:
- 3 cups peeled, seeded, and diced ripe cantaloupe pieces
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 cup chilled Champagne, preferably one on the fruity side
- For the sorbet, combine the 2 cups sugar and 2 of the cups of water in a heavy bottomed pot and whisk to combine.
- Heat over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until all of the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour mixture into a large bowl and cool to room temperature. Then place the bowl in the refrigerator until well chilled.
- When the sugar mixture is cold, add the remaining cup of water, lime juice, and zest and mix well to combine.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and make the sorbet.
- While the sorbet is being made, toss the raspberries with the sugar and the mint and set aside to macerate.
- Place the cantaloupe and lime juice in a blender or food processor and puree until very smooth.
- Strain the puree through a strainer into a clean bowl.
- Just before serving add the Champagne to the puree.
- To serve, divide the melon soup among 4 shallow bowls.
- Place a scoop of lime sorbet in the center of each bowl and top with the mint infused raspberries.