Chicken Liver Pate with Apple and Thyme Recipe
This luxurious pate is inexpensive to and easy to make. Serve it with toast points and some fresh or roasted apple slices.
- 1 pound chicken livers, cleaned and trimmed
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced small
- 1/2 cup tart green apple, peeled and diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- Leaves from 3 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 whole allspice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp. brandy or Calvados
- Salt and pepper
- Place the livers, onion, apple, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, allspice, and 1 tsp. of salt in a medium sized pot and add the water and cider.
- Bring the pot to a simmer and then reduce the heat to low and cover the pot.
- Cook the livers, stirring occasionally, until they are just pink inside (about 5 minutes).
- Remove the pot from the heat and let it stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf, cinnamon stick, and allspice and transfer the livers, onion, apples, and garlic to the bowl of a food processor with a slotted spoon.
- Blend mixture until coarsely pureed and with the machine running, add the butter, a little at a time, until fully incorporated.
- Add the brandy or Calvados and salt and pepper to taste.
- Process until completely smooth.
- Push the pâté through a coarse strainer and then divide it among 6-8 small ramekins.
- Press a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the pâté and refrigerate until for about 4 hours or until completely chilled.