Crab Cakes with Lime-Wasabi Sauce Recipe
The Court Bouillon:
- 375 milliliters water
- 125 milliliters white wine
- 1 bay leaf
The Crab Cakes:
- 325 grams codfish, skin and bones removed
- 450 grams crabmeat
- 190 grams bread crumbs
- 6 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 6 tablespoons minced scallion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 9 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 115 grams sliced almonds
- Corn oil
The Lime-Wasabi Sauce:
- 185 milliliters mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons wasabi paste or powder
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
For the Court Bouillon and Crab Cakes:
- Poach the codfish in the court bouillon. Remove the fish, let it cool, and then flake it.
- Clean the crabmeat of all shells and cartilage and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the crabmeat and cod with 90 grams of the bread crumbs, the cilantro, scallion, garlic, mayonnaise, Tabasco, and salt. Mix lightly, just until the ingredients are well combined. Refrigerate to firm the mixture.
- Put the remaining crumbs in a food processor with the almonds and chop until well combined.
- Form the crab mixture into patties about 75 grams each for lunch service (50 grams each for dinner service). Dip the patties in the bread crumb mixture until coated on all sides. Refrigerate to firm them up.
For the Lime-Wasabi Sauce:
- Place all of the ingredients, except the chives, in a bowl and whisk into a smooth mixture.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick pan and sauté the crab cakes until golden on both sides.
- Spoon some of the sauce onto a warm plate and place a crab cake on top. Sprinkle the sauce with the chives and serve.