Endive Spears with Curried Chicken Salad Recipe
These self contained hors d'oeuvres offer an eye catching presentation as well as an exciting combination of flavors.
- 3 large heads of endive
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain, whole milk yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. fresh chopped ginger root
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. honey
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 lb cooked skinless, boneless chicken breast, chopped fine
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1 small celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup toasted walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dried currants, rehydrated in warm water and then drained
- 1/2 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- Remove long, whole spears from the heads of endive, trimming away the bottom of the head to release more as needed. You need at least 24 nice looking spears.
- Toss the endive leaves in first Tbsp. of lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Combine mayonnaise, yogurt, curry powder, ginger, garlic, remaining Tbsp. lemon juice, honey, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chicken, scallion, celery, cilantro, walnuts, and currants and stir gently to combine.
- Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Place a bite sized portion of chicken salad in the bottom 1/4 of each endive spear and garnish with a grape half.
- Arrange in a circular pattern on a platter and serve.