Grilled Duck Breast with Asian Spiced Plum Sauce Recipe
The richness of the duck breast is cut by the smokiness of the grill and the fragrant, spicy flavors of the plums. This dish pairs well with Zinfandel or a hearty Merlot.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 6-8 ripe plums, pits removed and cut into 1/4" slices
- 1 star anise
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 2 boneless duck breasts, skin removed
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp. fresh Italian parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. of the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large sauté pan, add the shallots, and cook until soft.
- Add the plums and sauté until they begin to soften.
- Add the star anise, cinnamon stick, sugar, and the stock and reduce the heat to low.
- Allow the plums to simmer until they start to break down slightly and give off their juices, about 10 minutes.
- Rub the duck breasts with the remaining Tbsp. of olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Place the duck breasts on the grill and cook for about 5-8 minutes on each side or until medium rare to medium.
- Remove duck from grill and let rest.
- Adjust seasoning of plum sauce with salt, pepper, and more sugar if needed and remove star anise and cinnamon stick.
- Swirl the butter into the sauce.
- Slice the duck and divide among 4 plates.
- Top with the plum sauce.