Garlic Soup with Toasted Almonds and Smoked Paprika Recipe
This unusual soup is easy to make and has a wonderful flavor.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 large garlic cloves, quartered
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 thick slices (1/2") white country style bread crust removed, cut into cubes
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tsp. sherry wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Smoked paprika
- Heat oil in heavy bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Add garlic and sauté until light golden on the outside.
- Add wine and reduce down to about 3 Tbsp.
- Add stock and water and simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- Add bread cubes and salt and pepper and let sit for about 10 minutes so that bread soaks up liquid.
- Puree soup in blender and then return to saucepan.
- Add vinegar and adjust seasoning as needed.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with toasted almonds and a small sprinkling of smoked paprika.