Gorgonzola Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
In this updated version, a classic is enhanced by the creamy sharpness of gorgonzola cheese.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 4 oz. creamy Gorgonzola
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound penne pasta, cooked to al dente
- 2 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp. unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- In a heavy bottomed pot, heat the oil on medium-low heat and slowly cook the onions until they are tender. Do not allow them to brown.
- Remove the onions from the pot and add the butter and the garlic to the pot and cook over low heat until the butter is melted.
- Add the flour and mix well with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Cook flour mixture for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Heat the milk over medium heat.
- Whisk milk into the flour mixture 1 cup at a time, adding the next cup as needed so that the mixture becomes smooth and the lumps are whisked out.
- Simmer the sauce over low heat, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes until it has thickened.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the cheeses, the cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a bowl combine the cooked pasta with the cheese sauce and fresh herbs and season to taste.
- Butter a 9-inch square baking pan with the remaining butter.
- Fill the pan with the pasta mixture and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes until bubbling and golden brown on top.