Asparagus Sauce Recipe
This colorful sauce will surprise you with its clean, delicious flavor and bright green color. Serve it with fresh crab or poached fish or as a sauce for cheese tortellini or pasta.
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 3 cups 1" pieces of asparagus (be sure not to use the bottom part of the asparagus which is tough and fiberous)
- 4 cups of water
- 2-3 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 1 cup clean spinach leaves
- 2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- salt and pepper
- Place onion, garlic, asparagus, water and a pinch of salt in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce contents to a rapid simmer and let cook until asparagus is soft when pierced with a fork (about 10 minutes.
- Remove pot from the heat and tear up 2 pieces of the bread and add them to the pot.
- Allow the bread to absorb the liquid for about 5 minutes.
- Puree the contents of the pot using a hand or standard blender. If the sauce seems too thin add the third piece of bread and allow it to soak for a few minutes before pureeing everything together.
- Add the spinach and puree again until everything is smooth.
- Strain the sauce through a large meshed sieve and add the lemon zest and salt and pepper to taste.