Homemade Ricotta Cheese Recipe
Servings: 1 pound
This simple cheese is delicate and luscious in flavor and pairs nicely with fresh peaches or nectarines, a drizzle of honey, and chopped almonds.
- 3 quarts whole milk
- 2 cups whole milk yogurt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Place a large piece of dampened cheesecloth inside a strainer.
- Place milk, yogurt, and cream in a heavy bottomed pot and place on stove over medium to medium-high heat, stirring occasionally and making sure it is not scorching on the bottom.
- Once the mixture begins to simmer cook for about 2-3 minutes or until it appears very curdled.
- Immediately pour the mixture through the cheesecloth lined strainer and let drain for at least 30 minutes.
- Once the cheese had drained thoroughly, gather the ends of the cheesecloth and twist gently to coax out excess liquid (do not squeeze too hard as a little bit of residual liquid is good and will keep the ricotta moist).
- Place the ricotta into a bowl and gently fold in a pinch of salt.
- Serve at room temperature immediately or refrigerate in a tightly covered container until ready to use.