Indian Lamb Curry Recipe
This fragrant, flavorful stew is delicious served over rice and accompanied by plain yogurt, toasted coconut, and cilantro.
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2-2 1/2 lbs lamb stew meat, cut into 2" cubes
- Salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 yellow onion, diced small
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and diced small
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 2 Tbsp. curry powder, or to taste
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground cayenne
- 2 cups canned tomatoes, peeled and diced, liquid included
- 1 1/2 cups lamb, beef, or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Juice and zest of 1 small lemon
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a heavy pot or Dutch oven heat 2 tablespoons of oil over moderately high heat.
- Season the lamb with salt and pepper and then toss in the flour to coat.
- Shake off excess flour and place lamb, in a single layer, in pot.
- Cook the meat in batches until it is browned on all sides, remove from the pot and onto a plate when cooked.
- Add the remaining oil to the pot and add the onion.
- Cook the onion, stirring occasionally, over moderate heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the apples to the onions and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and the spices and cook the mixture over moderately low heat, stirring, for 2-3 minutes.
- Return the lamb to the pot and add the tomatoes and their liquid, the stock, raisins and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, stirring, and then reduce to a steady simmer.
- Cover the pot and place in the middle of the oven.
- Cook for 1 1/2-2 hours, checking on it occasionally.
- When the lamb is tender, add the lemon and the zest and adjust the seasoning just before serving.
Browse Culinary Arts Schools & Colleges
Refine School Matches
Results open in new window
Matching School Ads
5 Program(s) Found
International Culinary Center , Campbell
- Hands-on culinary education with focused attention on each student
- An ACCSC School of Excellence with multiple “Best Vocational Cooking School” awards*
- 15,000 graduates, including celebrities like Bobby Flay, David Chang, and Christina Tosi*
- Programs in Culinary Entrepreneurship, Professional Culinary Arts, Professional Pastry Arts, and much more
- Campuses in New York and Silicon Valley with nearby housing available
3 Program(s) Found
Institute of Technology , Clovis
- A part of the Select Education Group (SEG).
- Offers several scholarship and financial aid opportunities for students who qualify.
- California campuses accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC), and accreditation for the Salem campus from the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET).
- 4 Campuses located in Clovis, Modesto, and Redding in California, and Salem, Oregon.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits