Sautéed Kale with Bacon, Garlic, and Cannellini Beans Recipe
This dish is fast and easy to prepare and is packed with flavor.
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (add more for more spice)
- 1 large bunch kale (about 1 pound), thick stems removed, leaves torn into large pieces
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups canned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2-3 tsp. red wine vinegar
- Place bacon in large, heavy bottomed saute pan and cook over medium-low heat until brown and crisp.
- Remove bacon from pan and drain on paper towels. Leave bacon fat in pan.
- Place pan with bacon fat over medium heat and add garlic and chili flakes and stir until garlic is just starting to lightly brown.
- Add kale by large handfuls and stir just until it just begins to wilt and then add more. Continue until all of the kale has been added to the pan.
- Add chicken stock, cover pan, and simmer on low heat until greens are just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cannellini beans to the pan and simmer, uncovered, until beans are heated through and liquid is almost gone.
- Stir in vinegar to taste and add cooked bacon to the greens.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and add more vinegar if desired.