Lamb Meatballs with Minted Cucumber-Yogurt Sauce Recipe
These meatballs are delicious as an entree served with warm pita bread, or made smaller and served as hors d'oeuvres.
- 1 large European cucumber peeled, seeded, and grated.
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk plain yogurt, preferably the strained Greek type
- 2 tsp. fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 Tbsp.fresh Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh mint, roughly chopped
- Salt & pepper
- 3/4 cup soft white bread crumbs
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 fresh parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh oregano leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 lb ground lamb
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground cayenne
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- Grated zest from 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp. ground parmesan cheese
- To make yogurt sauce, toss cucumber with the teaspoon of salt and let sit in a sieve over a bowl for at least 15 minutes.
- Squeeze excess liquid out of cucumber and place in clean bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients for yogurt sauce and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Let yogurt sauce sit, refrigerated, for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- To make meatballs, preheat oven to 450oF.
- Place all ingredients for meatballs in a large bowl and mix well to combine.
- Do a taste test by cooking a small patty of the meatball mix in a pan.
- Go back and adjust seasoning to the meatball mix as needed.
- Form lamb mixture into small balls, about a tablespoon each.
- Place meatballs in rows on a baking tray and place in oven.
- Cook for about 10 minutes or until browned on the outside and cooked through on the inside.
- Serve with yogurt sauce and pita bread.