Lamb and Pine Nut Stuffed Onions Recipe
This recipe has a bit of a Middle Eastern flavor to it and is savory enough to be eaten with a salad as a meal.
- 4 medium red onions
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 lb ground lamb
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh Italian parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked long grain white rice
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. butter, cut into 4 pieces
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Cut the top off each onion and peel.
- Scoop out the centers of the onions with a melon baller, leaving 2-3 layers of onion and the bottoms intact.
- Chop the scooped out insides of the onions and set aside.
- Place the hollowed out onions, inverted, in a glass baking dish and add enough water to dish to come about 1/3 of the way up the onions.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the onions are just tender.
- Heat butter and oil in a pan, add the chopped onion, and sauté until starting to brown.
- Increase the heat and add the ground lamb.
- Cook until the lamb starts to brown and the juices evaporate.
- Add the spices, tomato paste, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Combine the meat mixture with the rice, pine nuts, and chopped herbs and taste the mixture for proper seasoning.
- Stuff the onions with the meat mixture and place them back in the baking dish.
- Add water to the dish to come 1/4 way up the sides of the onions and add the butter.
- Place onions in oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes.