Fresh Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe
Servings: 1 quart
You can really taste the difference that fresh mint makes in this classic ice cream.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups fresh spearmint leaves, loosely packed
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 8 oz. bitter or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped.
- Place milk, cream and mint in a medium sized pot and heat until just before it starts to come to a boil.
- Remove pot from heat and allow mint to steep for 30 minutes.
- Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl.
- Re-heat the milk mixture until simmering, but do not allow it to boil, and then remove from heat again.
- Ladle about 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly, then slowly stir the egg mixture back into the pot with the hot milk, whisking constantly.
- Place over low heat, and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes (do not let mixture get too hot or eggs will curdle).
- Strain through fine-meshed sieve into large bowl.
- Place bowl into an ice bath to cool down quickly.
- When mixture is completely cold, pour into the bowl of an ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's instructions, adding the chopped chocolate during last few minutes of churning.