Moroccan Chicken Tagine with Preserved Lemons and Olives Recipe
This uniquely flavored chicken stew is bursting with an unusual blend of flavors. Serve it with warm couscous.
- 8 medium chicken thighs, bone in and skin on
- Salt & pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1 tsp. sweet paprika
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 1/2 teaspoon ras el hanout (a spice blend available at Middle Eastern markets)
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives
- 1 Tbsp. chopped preserved lemon peel (available at Middle Eastern markets)
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot and add chicken, skin side down. Cook until skin is golden brown.
- Remove the chicken and add the onions to the pot.
- Cook the onions over low heat until they start to soften.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the chicken stock, and stir well to coat the onions with the spices.
- Add the chicken stock to the pot and stir well.
- Add the chicken back to the pot.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a slow, steady simmer and cover.
- Cook for about 45 minutes and then add the olives and the lemon peel.
- Continue cooking another 20-30 minutes, uncovered, or until the chicken is falling off the bone.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and continue cooking the liquid until it reduces to a saucy consistency.
- Add the lemon juice, cilantro, and parsley to the sauce.
- Serve the chicken with couscous and spoon the sauce on top.
Browse Culinary Arts Schools & Colleges
Refine School Matches
Results open in new window
Matching School Ads
5 Program(s) Found
International Culinary Center , Campbell
- Hands-on culinary education with focused attention on each student
- An ACCSC School of Excellence with multiple “Best Vocational Cooking School” awards*
- 15,000 graduates, including celebrities like Bobby Flay, David Chang, and Christina Tosi*
- Programs in Culinary Entrepreneurship, Professional Culinary Arts, Professional Pastry Arts, and much more
- Campuses in New York and Silicon Valley with nearby housing available
3 Program(s) Found
Institute of Technology , Clovis
- A part of the Select Education Group (SEG).
- Offers several scholarship and financial aid opportunities for students who qualify.
- California campuses accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC), and accreditation for the Salem campus from the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET).
- 4 Campuses located in Clovis, Modesto, and Redding in California, and Salem, Oregon.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits