Mushroom Cream Sauce Recipe
This sauce has many uses and is great on pasta, served with chicken, or even as a filling for omelets.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1.5# assorted wild mushrooms wiped clean and sliced thinly
- 1 large shallot, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 small stem (about 2") fresh rosemary, leaves picked and chopped
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tbs. chopped parsley
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan until almost smoking.
- Add mushrooms in a single layer to the pan and saute until they start to brown (if pan is too small to hold all of the mushrooms in a single layer at once then saute them in batches and add them all back to the pan once they are all cooked.)
- When the mushrooms begin to brown, add the shallots and garlic and cook for another minute or so.
- Add the chicken stock, the cream, and the rosemary to the pan and simmer on medium heat for about 5 minutes or until the liquid has begun to reduce.
- Remove about 1 cup of the mushrooms and the liquid and place in a blender.
- Place the lid on the blender and hold it on tightly as you pulse the blender on and off a few times before letting it run. Puree the mushroom mixture in the blender until smooth, adding more liquid from the pan if necessary.
- Add the pureed mushroom mixture back to the pan and stir to combine.
- Add the cheese, salt and pepper to taste, and the parsley and let simmer together for another few minutes.
- Remove from pan and serve.