Orange Vanilla Custard Recipe
The combination of orange and vanilla flavors along with the lusciousness of the texture makes this a delicious and satisfying dessert.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs, very fresh
- 2 large egg yolks, very fresh
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 vanilla bean pod, cut in half, seeds scraped
- 2 tsp. finely grated orange zest
- Preheat oven to 300° F.
- Place six 4-oz. ramekins in a deep baking pan, large enough to hold them with space in between each ramekin.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, bring the milk to a simmer on medium-low and then remove from heat.
- Place the eggs, yolks, sugar, salt, vanilla seeds, and pods in a separate bowl and mix well.
- Add a little bit of the milk to the eggs and whisk to warm the eggs up and then add everything back to the pot and whisk to combine.
- Let vanilla steep in the milk for about 10 minutes.
- Strain the mixture into a clean bowl and add the orange zest.
- Pour the mixture into the cups and place the pan on a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Pour hot (not boiling) water into the pan until it reaches halfway up the sides of the cups.
- Bake until the custards are just set (they will still be a little loose in the center), 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let the custards cool in the water bath for about 2 hours and then serve at room temperature or chilled.
Browse Culinary Arts Schools & Colleges
Refine School Matches
Results open in new window
Matching School Ads
5 Program(s) Found
International Culinary Center , Campbell
- Hands-on culinary education with focused attention on each student
- An ACCSC School of Excellence with multiple “Best Vocational Cooking School” awards*
- 15,000 graduates, including celebrities like Bobby Flay, David Chang, and Christina Tosi*
- Programs in Culinary Entrepreneurship, Professional Culinary Arts, Professional Pastry Arts, and much more
- Campuses in New York and Silicon Valley with nearby housing available
3 Program(s) Found
Institute of Technology , Clovis
- A part of the Select Education Group (SEG).
- Offers several scholarship and financial aid opportunities for students who qualify.
- California campuses accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC), and accreditation for the Salem campus from the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET).
- 4 Campuses located in Clovis, Modesto, and Redding in California, and Salem, Oregon.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits