Pickled Vegetables Recipe
These vegetables have a great flavor and a nice bite and are the perfect accompaniment to pork rillettes. They are also great with sandwiches and even in Bloody Mary cocktails.
- 1 cup haricot verts, trimmed
- 2 bunches baby carrots, peeled, tops trimmed off
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced into thin pieces
- 1 red pepper, sliced into thin pieces
- 1 cup zucchini rounds, 1/4" thick
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. coriander seeds
- 1 whole clove
- 1 Tbsp. whole black peppercorns
- 2 whole red Thai chilies
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh oregano
- Separately blanch the haricot verts, carrots, and cauliflower florets in salted water and then plunge into an ice water bath to stop cooking.
- Place the vinegar, water, salt, sugar, herbs, spices, and chilies into a heavy bottomed pot and bring to a rapid simmer.
- Place all of the vegetables into a jar large enough to hold them comfortably and pour the hot liquid over them.
- Let the jar sit until the liquid cools and then cover it and place in the refrigerator.
- Allow the vegetables to marinate for at least 24 hours before eating.