Poached Skate Wing in a Lemongrass Broth Recipe
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 1 small head of fennel, finely sliced
- 2 inches fresh ginger, finely sliced
- 1 liter dry vermouth
- 2 liters chicken stock
- 4 stalks lemongrass, sliced
- 1½ teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 pinches saffron
- 4 sprigs tarragon
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 points star anise
- 2 whole clove
- 3 garlic cloves, split
- Peel of 1 preserved lemon
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, broken
- 1 large handful of cilantro, chopped
The Garnish, Skate, and Finish:
- 250 grams leeks, whites with some pale green parts, cut on the bias in ½-inch slices
- 175 grams carrots, sliced on the bias
- 250 grams asparagus, peeled and cut on the bias in ½-inch slices
- 300 grams tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped.
- 24 Red Bliss potatoes, shaped as pommes noisettes
- Eight 150-gram portions boned skate wing
- Preserved lemon peel, blanched
- Tarragon leaves
- Lemon oil
- In a large sautoir, sweat the onion, fennel, and ginger in oil for a few minutes without coloring. Deglaze with the vermouth and reduce by half.
- Add the stock and the rest of the bouillon ingredients except the cilantro. Simmer gently for 20 minutes, and then add the cilantro. Immediately remove the pan from the fire and let it steep for 10 minutes. Strain the mixture, pressing hard on the solids. The stock could be clarified at this point.
- Cook the leeks, carrots, and asparagus separately à l’anglaise. Refresh them and set them aside.
- Season the tomatoes with a touch of salt and let them drain in a strainer.
- Cook the potatoes in salted water at the last minute.
- At service time, bring a portion of the bouillon to a boil and immerse a piece of the skate in it. Steep, without boiling, for approximately 5 minutes, or until the skate is cooked through.
- Add the vegetable garnish and heat through as well.
- Serve the fish and vegetables in a wide shallow bowl accented with some julienne of preserved lemon peel, a few tarragon leaves, and drops of lemon oil dotted on top.