Roasted Beet Salad with Horseradish and Crème Fraîche Recipe
This dish is visually stunning and the flavors are delicious with smoked or roasted fish.
- 2 lbs red beets
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 small piece fresh horseradish, peeled
- 1 Tbsp. fresh chives, chopped
- 1 small shallot, chopped fine
- 1 Tbsp. fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tsp lemon zest, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Wash the beets well and place them in the center of a large piece of foil.
- Wrap the foil tightly around the beets and place directly on middle rack in oven.
- Roast for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until tender.
- Let beets rest in foil for about 20 minutes before removing them. Unwrap and let them cool until they can be handled.
- Peel beets and cut them into 1/4" thick rounds.
- Grate the horseradish on the small holes of a cheese grater to yield 2 Tbsp.
- Combine the crème fraîche, yogurt, horseradish to taste, chives, shallots, dill, lemon zest, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the beets in with the crème fraîche mixture and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes before eating.