Salted Codfish with Leeks Recipe
Tip: Handle the cod carefully so that the pieces remain as large as possible—do not shred it into the sauce. Serve with sliced, baked polenta.
- 450 grams baccala (salt cod)
- 120 milliliters extra virgin olive oil
- 10 grams coarsely chopped garlic
- 240 grams leek, halved lengthwise and sliced 6 millimeters (1/4 inch) thick
- 75 grams chopped red onion
- Red pepper flakes
- 50 grams chopped parsley
- 500 grams whole, canned tomatoes, puréed through a food mill
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Soak the codfish: Rinse the codfish, place it in a bowl, and add cold water to cover. Soak in the refrigerator for 48 hours, changing the water two to three times.
- Put the codfish in a large stockpot. Add fresh cold water to cover.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove the cod carefully so as not to break it up too much; set aside. Discard the water.
- Meanwhile, combine the oil, garlic, leek, onion, a pinch of red pepper, 5 grams of parsley, and salt in a saucepan. Place over heat, cover, and cook until the leeks soften and begin to color, about 20 minutes.
- Add the tomato, salt, black pepper, another pinch of red pepper, and 250 milliliters water. Return to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the cod to the pan along with the remaining 45 grams parsley and 120 milliliters of water. Cover and simmer gently until the cod is tender, about 10 minutes.