Smoky Bell Pepper Sauce Recipe
Servings: 2 cups
This sweet and smoky sauce is a great accompaniment to chicken, pork, and heartier types of fish. It also works great as a sauce for pasta and even adds an interesting twist to lasagna.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 3 large red and/or orange bell peppers
- 2 cloves of garlic roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1-2 tsp. lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large sauce pot and add onion and peppers.
- Sweat over medium-low heat until onions and peppers start to soften. If they start to brown, lower the heat so that they soften without browning.
- Add garlic, paprika, and sugar and stir to combine.
- Allow mixture to cook for a few minutes, then add white wine and cook until the wine has almost completely reduced.
- Add the cream to the pot and simmer slowly for about 10 minutes.
- Remove pot from the heat and puree until smooth using a hand blender or a standard blender.
- Strain the sauce through a large meshed sieve and finish with lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- You can thin the sauce if it is too thick using either water or a touch more cream.