Tri-Colored Steak au Poivre Recipe
This classic steak dish pairs wonderfully with a smooth, dark stout beer, which complements the meat and helps to tame the spice from the peppercorns.
- 4 1"-thick, strip steaks (8 to 10 oz. each)
- 1 Tbsp. coarse salt
- 1 Tbsp. whole black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- 1 Tbsp. brined green peppercorns, rinsed, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. pink Szechuan peppercorns
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 250° F.
- Pat steaks dry and season both sides generously with salt.
- Combine peppercorns and press evenly onto both sides of the steaks.
- Heat a large heavy saute' pan, preferably cast iron, over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add oil to pan and place steaks, 2 at a time, into pan.
- Cook steaks, turning over once, for about 8-10 minutes total per batch for medium-rare.
- Keep cooked steaks in warm oven while others cook and then place all four steaks in oven while you make the sauce.
- Pour off fat from skillet, turn heat to medium-low, and add shallots and 2 Tbsp.of butter.
- Cook stirring and scraping up brown bits with a wooden spoon, until shallots are golden brown.
- Add brandy cautiously, as it will probably ignite, and simmer until liquid is reduced to a glaze, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add cream and any meat juices accumulated in the pan in the oven and continue to simmer sauce, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half.
- Remove pan from heat and swirl in remaining 2 Tbsp. butter until incorporated.
- Pour sauce over steaks to serve or serve on the side.
Browse Culinary Arts Schools & Colleges
Refine School Matches
Results open in new window
Matching School Ads
5 Program(s) Found
International Culinary Center , Campbell
- Hands-on culinary education with focused attention on each student
- An ACCSC School of Excellence with multiple “Best Vocational Cooking School” awards*
- 15,000 graduates, including celebrities like Bobby Flay, David Chang, and Christina Tosi*
- Programs in Culinary Entrepreneurship, Professional Culinary Arts, Professional Pastry Arts, and much more
- Campuses in New York and Silicon Valley with nearby housing available
3 Program(s) Found
Institute of Technology , Clovis
- A part of the Select Education Group (SEG).
- Offers several scholarship and financial aid opportunities for students who qualify.
- California campuses accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC), and accreditation for the Salem campus from the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET).
- 4 Campuses located in Clovis, Modesto, and Redding in California, and Salem, Oregon.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits