Three Cheese Ravioli Recipe
These raviolis are simple and go well with just about any sauce.
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 4 oz. grated mozzarella
- 1/2 cup ricotta
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsp. chopped lemon zest
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt & pepper
- 1 pound fresh pasta dough, cut into 4 even sized pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- Freshly grated Parmesan as an accompaniment
- Bring the pasta dough to room temperature and roll one piece through the rollers of a pasta machine, set to its highest number.
- After rolling out, trim the ends so that the dough is an even rectangle.
- Lower the setting on the pasta machine one notch down.
- Dust both sides of the dough with flour and feed the dough back carefully through the machine.
- Continue to cycle the dough through the machine, each time turning the dial one notch lower, so that the sheets become longer and thinner with each pass.
- Stop when you reach the second lowest number and cut the pasta sheet into 2 pieces, one slightly longer than the other. Place these sheets on a floured sheet tray; cover with plastic wrap and a slightly damp towel.
- Repeat the process with the remaining pasta dough.
- To make ravioli, working with one set of pasta sheets at a time, put heaping tablespoons of the filling in lengthwise rows on the shorter sheet of pasta, spacing them about 1 inch from the edges and 3 inches apart from each other.
- Brush the dough around each mound of filling with beaten egg and then put the longer piece of dough on top.
- Press the dough gently around the filling and push out any air bubbles.
- With a circular pastry cutter or knife cut the dough between the rows of filling into individual ravioli.
- Place the ravioli in one layer on a lightly floured tray as you make them. Once finished, the ravioli can be kept, uncovered in the refrigerator for up to 2 hours.
- To cook, bring 2 quarts of salted water to a rapid boil and add the ravioli.
- Cook them at a steady simmer for 6 to 8 minutes, or until they are al dente.
- Sauce as desired.