Tom Kha Gai Recipe
This is a deliciously fragrant, traditional Thai soup that bursts with unusual aromatic flavors.
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 8 quarter sized slices fresh galangal root (available at Asian markets)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass, finely chopped
- 4 whole red thai chilies
- 2 chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1 cup small brown mushrooms, sliced
- 8 kaffir lime leaves, sliced thin
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Bring coconut milk and broth to a simmer.
- Add galangal, ginger, lemongrass, and chilies and simmer on medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken slices and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and lime leaves and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the brown sugar, lime juice, fish sauce, and cilantro.
- Stir well and season to taste.