Vegetable Pancakes with Smoked Salmon and Dill Sour Cream Recipe
These little pancakes are perfect as an appetizer or as a bite sized amuse at the start of a meal.
Dill Sour Cream:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. fine lemon zest
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup peeled and shredded russet potato
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 yellow onion, shredded
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions 1/2 cup finely ground plain bread crumbs 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 6 oz. thinly sliced smoked salmon, cut into appropriate sized pieces to fit on top of the pancakes
- 1/4 cup chopped chives for garnish
- Combine all of the ingredients for the dill sour cream and refrigerate while you make the pancakes.
- Combine the potatoes, zucchini, carrots, and onion in a colander and season lightly with salt.
- Allow the colander to drain for 10 minutes over a bowl.
- Squeeze excess moisture from vegetable mixture and place in a clean, large bowl.
- Combine vegetable mixture with the remaining ingredients for the pancakes and let mixture sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat half of the canola oil in a heavy bottomed pan over medium-high heat (a cast iron or non-stick pan also works great for these.)
- Drop one Tbsp. of pancake batter into the pan and cook until the pancake is golden brown on both sides and cooked through. Turn heat down if pan gets too hot.
- Remove pancake from the pan and taste for seasoning.
- Adjust seasoning of the batter as needed and continue cooking the remaining pancakes, in whichever size you desire, adding more oil to the pan as needed.
- Drain pancakes on paper towels.
- To serve, top each pancake with a dollup of sour cream, a piece of smoked salmon, and garnish with chopped chives.