Spring Vegetable Ragout Recipe
This delicious side dish is visually dazzling with its bright colors and contrasting shapes and sizes.
- 1 lb. sugar snap peas, strings removed and cut into 1/4" pieces
- 1 lb. English peas, shelled
- 1 lb. thin asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2" pieces
- 2 lbs. fresh fava beans, shelled
- 9 baby carrots, peeled, stems trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 shallots, chopped fine
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chopped chives
- Salt and pepper
- In a pot of boiling, heavily salted water, in separate batches blanch the snap peas, English peas, asparagus, fava beans, and carrots until just cooked and shock each in an ice bath to stop them from cooking further.
- Peel the outer skins from the fava beans and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, over medium-low heat, melt 2 Tbsp. of the butter, add the shallots and garlic, and cook until just soft.
- Add the blanched vegetables to the pan and toss with the shallots and garlic.
- Turn the heat up and add the chicken stock.
- Cook for just a few minutes until the stock is almost completely reduced and remove pan from heat
- Stir in the last Tbsp. of butter, lemon zest, thyme and chives.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.