Culinary Schools in Riverside
Named for its location next to the Santa Ana River, Riverside is part of Southern California's Inland Empire -- it's not quite Los Angeles with all its glitz and glamour, but it's close enough that you could commute if you really needed to. Riverside is a pleasant city of just over 300,000 inhabitants. Just like much of California, it owes its existence to the citrus industry, which was largely responsible for the birth of the city in the 1870s.
Although it's not a world-class destination, there are plenty of opportunities for culinary students in Riverside, and plenty to do if you know where to look. For example, the California Museum of Photography is located Riverside, as well as the Parent Washington Navel Orange Tree, which is the last of the two original navel orange trees in the state. The Riverside Airshow is quite an event, attracting more than 70,000 people to its aerial performances. For film lovers, there's the Riverside International Film Festival, held in April, which features more than 100 movies from all over the world. If you are considering attending one of the Riverside cooking schools, please read on for more detailed information about what to expect in Southern California.
Famous Riverside restaurants and festivals
Culinary schools in Riverside will prepare students with cooking fundamentals, but students should also get out and explore what the city has to offer in terms of restaurants and other food venues. Riverside is close enough to the ocean to indulge in super-fresh seafood and sushi, but not close enough to Hollywood and Santa Monica to spend a fortune on dining. Here are three local favorites that you may know if you're a student at a Riverside culinary school:
- The Mission Inn Restaurant: Located inside the historic Mission Inn, this beautiful restaurant is popular well beyond Riverside. Choose to savor your lunch in the gorgeous courtyard, called the Spanish patio. The Sunday brunch here is legendary and there's a seafood buffet on Fridays.
- Heroes Restaurant and Brewery: Big portions of great American comfort food and fantastic beer seem to be a great combination -- and a popular one. Located in downtown Riverside, this hip and trendy restaurant offers hand-crafted beers. This casual eatery can get crowded, but it's worth the wait. Friendly service.
- Café Sevilla: Riverside may be a long way from Spain, but this beautiful restaurant takes you right back to the land of sangría, paella, and tapas. The upstairs outdoor restaurant is perfect for cocktails and drinking, and there's an adjacent nightclub to continue the evening. The restaurant offers La Familia sharing-style menus and vegan and gluten-free options as well. We'll toast to that.
Riverside culinary salary and career information
Aspiring Riverside culinary arts students are passionate about food and cooking, but that doesn't mean they want to do it for free. California is a large state, and those who decide to stay will find many different opportunities. The Bureau of Labor Statistics suggests that larger metro areas may have more job openings and higher wages. Here's what to expect in terms of job growth and salaries for culinary jobs in the whole state of California.
Total Employment in California (2014)
Average Salary in California (2014)
% Job Growth Nationwide (2014-2024)
Butchers and Meat Cutters
Chefs and Head Cooks
Food Service Managers
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2014
Riverside might be a big city in its own right, but the BLS has combined it with two other nearby cities for statistical purposes. Let's have a look at that data to give you a better idea of earnings right in your area.
Total Employed (2014)
Average Salary (2014)
Butchers and Meat Cutters
Food Service Managers
Enjoy the pleasure of attending one of the Riverside culinary schools -- complete with year-round sunshine and access to all things Los Angeles if you so choose. Please browse the list of schools below, and find a culinary institution that's right for you.
- California Museum of Photography, https://artsblock.ucr.edu/Page/california-museum-of-photography
- Heroes Restaurant and Brewery: http://heroesrestaurantandbrewery.com/#_=_
- May 2014 Metropolitan and Nonmetropolitan Area Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates, Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_40140.htm
- May 2014 State Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates California, 2015, Bureau of Labor Statistics, http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_ca.htm
- Riverside International Film Festival, http://riversidefilm.org/
- Riverside Airshow, http://www.riversideca.gov/airshow/
- The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa, http://www.missioninn.com/
- The Mission Inn Restaurant, , http://www.missioninn.com/dining/mission-inn-restaurant-en.html#_=_
- The Parent Washington Navel Orange Tree in Riverside, Nathaniel Uy, San Diego Reader, July 25, 2009, http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2009/jul/25/travel-parent-orange-tree-riverside/