A Day in Cake Land (part 2)

After the first few weeks that the Cake Nouveau was open, my new life as a pastry chef calmed down a bit. At first, my boss and I would come to work at the same time. That way she could make sure there were no bumps along the road and that everything ran smoothly. It wasn’t long before she became comfortable with the shop, and me, and was able to spend less time at the work. I was now in charge of opening the shop and baking all cupcakes and cakes for that day.

Six days a week I would groggily roll out of bed at 5:00 AM, put on my chef coat and head out the door. Driving to work was very peaceful, there was no one on the road at this time and the city was beautiful in the dark of the early morning. I would unlock the back door, put my coat and purse down, and turn on the lights. Next, I would preheat the oven and take the necessary ingredients out of the refrigerator to warm up. Everyday was basically the same.

As I made cupcakes and bakes cookies, I would dance and sing to different music. Everything from pop, Disney theme songs, rock, and even opera. I would crank up the stores surround sound and sing on the top of my lungs, sometimes even using my dirty spatula as a microphone-thankfully there was no one there to see me. Cake Nouveau was located downtown near the ‘Kerrytown‘ area, it was next to a few other shops and below apartments. I, now, wonder if I ever woke any one up, sleeping above the shop at 6 in the morning. But, I never heard any complaints.

On occasion my boss would come in early to work on the accounting or on a cake order. I would not be able to hear her come in because the music was so loud. Still thinking I was alone…and still singing. I would turn around with a fresh sheet pan full of cupcakes in my hand, trying not to drop the whole thing, and scream in surprise.

When all of the cupcakes, cookies, and cake by the slice, had been prepared, I would artfully put them all in the display case. Start the BUNN coffee maker. And turn on the lights in the front of the house. The shop was ready to be opened at 10:00 o’clock.

After the shop opened for the day, and whoever was working the cash register has arrived. I would than finish any other tasks I had for the day. Baking off cakes, making more buttercream, and filling out any special orders. Usually around about noon to one o’clock my work was done and I could go home.

And than the next day would start all over again…

Browse Baking and Pastry Arts Schools & Colleges