Bittersweet Chocolate Tart with Chocolate Crust Recipe
This rich, chocolaty tart is delicious with whipped cream and fresh raspberries.
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 8 oz. (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp. heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 5 oz butter
- 5 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Place cocoa, flour, sugar, salt, and butter in a mixing bowl and beat on low speed until it looks like coarse crumbs.
- Place the egg, heavy cream, and vanilla in a separate bowl and whisk until just blended.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix just until combined (this should take about 30 seconds).
- Remove the dough and place on a clean, lightly floured surface and knead until it comes together in a ball.
- Flatten the ball into a large disk, about 1" thick, wrap in plastic wrap, and place in refrigerator and chill for at least two hours.
- When dough has chilled, remove from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature for about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the work surface with flour and roll the dough out into a circle that will drape on an 11-inch tart pan with about an inch hanging over.
- Press the dough into the bottom and sides of the pan, if it crumbles just press the pieces back together.
- Line the tart shell with parchment paper and top with dry beans or pie weights.
- Bake the dough for 10 minutes and then remove the beans or weights and parchment paper from the pan and return the pan to the oven.
- Bake shell for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and allow to cool completely before filling.
- To make filling, place the chocolate and the butter in a medium sized bowl.
- Place bowl over a pot of gently simmering water and let chocolate and butter completely melt, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bowl from the heat and let cool slightly.
- Place the eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat with a whip on medium-high speed until pale yellow and thick, about 3-4 minutes.
- Fold the cooled chocolate and the flour into the egg mixture and pour it into the prepared tart shell.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes until the batter sets.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting.